.204 rifle advice

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
griffshrek
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem model 7

.204 rifle advice

Post by griffshrek »

Hello all

New to this fantastic forum and on the way to getting a .204 Ruger shortly . With my current budget the rifles in my price range will be a Ruger 77 Predator , CZ 527 Varminter there are several Rem 700 variety's that are in my budget (had a Rem before )

I want a rifle for varminting ,fox and outside plinking don't want a too heavy rifle as it will also get carried about quite a lot.

What experience pros & cons have any of you got on these rifles that could help me in my decision

regards ....neil
GTOHunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: .204 rifle advice

Post by GTOHunter »

I just bought a CZ-USA Varmint in the .204,have to go back to my Gun Dealer and make the final payment and pick it up...I can let You know first hand just how heavy it is!I was considering the 527 American which is a Lighter Rifle but it has a shorter barrel...the Varmint (Heavy Barrel) is a little heavier and the barrel is 4 inches longer so I figured it would be more accurate and possibly last longer?I used a borrowed Savage .204 with the Camo and bull barrel...it was awful to try and pack around if You plan on doing any kind of walking/hunting with something like that its not going to be easy on the Ol back and arms....I'm thinking it showed a weight of 8.5 lbs?Pretty heavy for a Rifle if You plan on any Predator hunting out in the woods,hills and fields! :chin:

I saw where another Member here bought the Savage Model 25 .204 in a light weight Hunter...very nice looking Rifle and it looked like a nice light weight Gun to pack around!His post is down a few on this same area...check it out...I'm envious of that Savage! :chin:
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

I have a Rem 700 SPS in 204 Ruger and I love it. Relatively light, very accurate and a lot of fun to shoot.
Dr Pepper
.204 Ruger Guns: HS Precision, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Dr Pepper »

I have the walnut stocked CZ varmint and I think it offers the best of both worlds as far as being a great shooter that isn't too heavy. Mine shoots great with 39gr blitzking with 28gr of Varget. Scope I have on it is the VXII 6-18. Only thing I need now is the sigle shot adapter from Calhoon. Dr P