I've yet to meet a....

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

I've yet to meet a....

Post by jrwoitalla »

gun/shooting enthusiast that isn't concurrently a knife lover to some extent. Just wondering how many knives are in your safe? If you are like me you probably have at least five or more different sharpening kits and/or stones. My personal favorites come from Japan. My go everywhere folder is a blue Sakai with a cocobolo accent. Yesterday I ordered an MCusa folder from Seki Japan. I'm wondering how many of you have the same affliction and what are your favorite blades? I always have a bald spot on my arm from checking to see if my knives are within my parameters of acceptability of sharpness. My poor wife has to be watched carefully in the kitchen on account of she aint good with sharp things.
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: I've yet to meet a....

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I know what you mean....agree completely; guns and knives just go together.

For hunting/packing: Puma (Hunters Pal or skinner)
For daily carry: Benchmade auto folder
For multi-tool: SOG

Guess my tastes run American and German when it comes to blades, but like you, my safe has a bunch of 'em too. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

jrwoitalla

Post by jrwoitalla »

I gots American too- Buck, Gerber, Schrade: perhaps if I spent a few extra dollars on some US steel I might get a new favorite. I've hemmed & hawed about getting a Scallion and/or a Chive...might break down here pretty soon and add one to my collection.
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

This is possibly my favorite knife. I almost always have it in my pocket. It essentially never gets dull. It is tiny and thin! Cost a whopping $9.99. Only "nice" knife I have is a Puma Hunter. I am one of the rare gun guys that can't get myself to spend a lot of money on collecting knives. They are expensive and don't get used. Then again, I don't collect much of anything that doesn't get used. Maybe if I had more expendable income.

Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

My favorite is my trusty beat up old Swiss army knife that rarely leaves my pocket. I also have 5 or 6 Japanese knives and swords I recieved as gifts from my Sensei for taking over his school when he was on vacation.
boomer84
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 sps varmint

Post by boomer84 »

Trent wrote:This is possibly my favorite knife. I almost always have it in my pocket. It essentially never gets dull. It is tiny and thin! Cost a whopping $9.99. Only "nice" knife I have is a Puma Hunter. I am one of the rare gun guys that can't get myself to spend a lot of money on collecting knives. They are expensive and don't get used. Then again, I don't collect much of anything that doesn't get used. Maybe if I had more expendable income.

Where can i get me one of these?
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

boomer84 wrote: Where can i get me one of these?

I bought mine at Walmart in sporting goods but I have seen them other places. Great value for 10 bucks. I've had mine for about three years now and it still works as new. It is nice and compact and also comfortable to use.
boomer84
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 sps varmint

Post by boomer84 »

Cheers Trent
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

This knife company makes quality knives. I carry the Recon 1 most everywhere. Check out some of their videos.

http://www.coldsteel.com/
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
jrwoitalla

Post by jrwoitalla »

I know this is an older post but I wanted to add something I just figured out...a bare steel will put a razor sharp edge on all of my blades- I find with 20 or 30 swipes per side. After my in-laws came over and compromised most of my kitchen blades :mad: , I thought I'd give them a quick servicing on my steel and without even thinking I just kept swiping at about a 10 degree angle on each side. When I checked for sharpness, I was pleasantly surprised when the first blade I worked popped hairs like a barbers razor! :eek: So out came all em for the same treatment...don't need any special gimmicks or tools anymore. :wink:
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I go with the U.S. knives. Have numerous brands. Like the CRKT models. Have two of the Gerber/utility blade models. They are really nice and as mentioned always sharp, as you just replace the blade.. Bill K
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Wicked Edge makes the best knife sharpening systems I have ever used. Well worth the investment. You'll never own a dull knife again.

http://www.wickededgeusa.com/
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
jrwoitalla

Post by jrwoitalla »

A set of Arkansas stones and a bare(smooth) steel are all I need now for razor sharp edges. I've got the Chef's Choice sharpener and a junk drawer full of gadgets that are supposed to put a super sharp edge on steel. They'll get em sharp, but none of em will make an edge like the above combo. I used to drive myself nuts trying to get that wicked sharp blade, now it only takes about 30 seconds if the steel was sharp to start with.
CoyoteCanada
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by CoyoteCanada »

Trent wrote:
boomer84 wrote: Where can i get me one of these?

I bought mine at Walmart in sporting goods but I have seen them other places. Great value for 10 bucks. I've had mine for about three years now and it still works as new. It is nice and compact and also comfortable to use.
I'm a big fan of Gerber products, i'll pick mine up over the New Years holiday, from meh to meh!

TY
CC