Replacement barrel?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Replacement barrel?

Post by sharptailhunter »

For a couple of reasons, I'm thinking I need a new barrel. My action is a Savage model 12. I have seen on here that a couple of you are using Pac Nor barrels. I shot a buddy's model 12 in .308 with a Sheilen barrel tonight. It's a tack driving machine! According to him, Sheilen will send ya the barrel and all ya need for the Savage is a set of Go/No Go gauges and a barrel nut wrench. I'm in deed interested in installing it myself. This, for now, is my only varmint rifle so I will use it to shoot anything from little sage rats to coyotes. I'm not concerned about weight because my current barrel is heavy and so is everything else on my gun. Needless to say, it's not a light weight sporter model... That's coming later ;)

So, my questions are: which barrel has enjoyed the most success for the .204? Is there any benefit to sending my action to the barrel maker and having them install it? Which twist rate should I be looking at? How many grooves? Flutes or non fluted? I don't care about barrel finish because it's gonna get Cerakoted as soon as I get it!

Thanks in advance. This will be my first barrel purchase/install... I wanna do it right ;)
22 Mag

Re: Replacement barrel?

Post by 22 Mag »

sharptailhunter

You are right about the Go gauge, but you do not need a No-Go. After I set my headspace with the Go gauge I place a piece of clear tape over the bottom end of the Go gauge this adds about 0.002 to the overall lenght and try to chamber the Go gauge again. If you have the headspace set tight on the Go gauge without the tape it should not chamber with the tape on the back end. You now have a tight SAAMI chamber.
Check with Northland Shooters Supply at 763-682-4296 Jim has barrels from Three barrel makers all set to spin on to your Savage. Great guy to work with.
P.S. He can talk you through putting on your first barrel, it is not hard.

22 Mag
"Happiness is not having everything you want, but wanting everything you have"
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by sharptailhunter »

Thanks for the reply! I had read about using the tape method. I also thought of sacrificing a feeler gauge to cut a 0.002" shim to place behind the Go gauge. I've heard those gauges are a bit over-priced.

I've got an email into Jim, but if memory serves me right, it's just better to call him. I'll try to free up some time for that ;)
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I just had my 2nd Benchmark barrel made. They are accurate and reasonable in cost. They make a tight, no turn chamber. I get 1/4 inch groups with my 20 VarTarg. They will chamber cut and thread the barrel for the Savage, $425. They have full gunsmith services as well. They even had my last barrel nitride treated as well. I am still waiting for Savage to send my target action to see how well the 6.5-284 barrel will shoot. There are several good barrel makers out there, I am a little disappointed with my last Shilen barrel in regard to accuracy though.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Varoum
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Varoum »

Happy to read about the quality of the Benchmark barrels. I have on in order. 24.5in 6 grooves in .20 cal.

Thanks!