Stock Options

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
boomer84
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 sps varmint

Stock Options

Post by boomer84 »

Hey guys.

I need help i'm chasing a stock for my rem 700 sps varmint! I really want a Mcmillan but i can't find/decide on one i like. I have only seen picture so they might look different in real life (you know how photos don't do some things justice). I really like the look of the H-S Precision PST012 (rem police stock) but have heard mixed reviews about H-S stocks and can not find a bad word about the Mcmillan except the price but thats fair(price we pay for quality). Do Mcmillan do a similar stock. So after all that i'm interested which model Mcmillan stocks u guys would recomend/use? And maybe some photos to get a different angle/perspective and see them mounted on a rife would be cool to.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Boomer
TX204FAN
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American , CZ 527 Varmint

Re: Stock Options

Post by TX204FAN »

I am also looking for stock options for my CZ 527. Most of my shooting is done out on a little hill top in the tall grass off a bipod and the standard wood stock really isn't comfortable for long periods scoping for predators and pigs. Any thoughts?
Mike D.
TX204FAN
CZ 527 American 28.5" heavy barrel 1:12 twist, Leupold VX-I 3x9x40, bipod and custom leather sling.
CZ 527 Varmint 24" barrel 1:9 twist, Leupold VX-I 4x12x40
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by sharptailhunter »

You can go as crazy as you want. Here's the route I went with my Savage. http://www.204ruger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8569

They make the same stock for Rem 700s too. I almost went with the Bell and Carlson medalist. I think it'd work nice for what you guys are after. I handled a Choate today, it was pretty cool as well.

Good luck and be sure to show us some photos of before and after!
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

The best stock for the CZ 527 Varmint is the HS precision or Bell and Carlson. The best deal i have found is actually on the CZ usa website. The last one i purchased was an HS precision from CZ for $285 shipped. They still have them available on the website. Here is the link: http://shop.cz-usa.com/P-19900/Kevlar-S ... rmint.aspx
TX204FAN wrote:I am also looking for stock options for my CZ 527. Most of my shooting is done out on a little hill top in the tall grass off a bipod and the standard wood stock really isn't comfortable for long periods scoping for predators and pigs. Any thoughts?
zx10mike
.204 Ruger Guns: TIKKA T3 VARMINT

Post by zx10mike »

i just purchased an accuracy international stock for a rem 700,could not realy afford it but the way it transforms the rifle.worth every penny.
btlbrn
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by btlbrn »

zx10mike wrote:i just purchased an accuracy international stock for a rem 700,could not realy afford it but the way it transforms the rifle.worth every penny.
PICTURES??
shooting fishing camping did I mention shooting??
Steve
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

zx10mike wrote:i just purchased an accuracy international stock for a rem 700,could not realy afford it but the way it transforms the rifle.worth every penny.
Don't take it too personal, but we're purty picture-oreinted around here.......

We're also fond of AI stuff, so dig out that camera buddy! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

zx10mike
.204 Ruger Guns: TIKKA T3 VARMINT

Post by zx10mike »

getting the hand of pictures now hope you like the green is the accuracy international
GaCop
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15, 24" stainless varmint barrel

Post by GaCop »

I love those AI stocks, soooooooooo tacticool (and functional).
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

I, too, went with the B&C Medalist A1 Tactical stock on my stainless SPS. Perfectly adequate for my needs. And spending any more wouldn't have justified not just buying a Rem. 5R Mil-spec rifle in the first place!
btlbrn
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by btlbrn »

GREAT LOOKING RIFLES!! Pics not too shabby either. Thank you sir.
shooting fishing camping did I mention shooting??
Steve
jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by jrwoitalla »

I'd love to re-stock my 527 Varmint, but it shoots so well right now that I'm afraid to change anything. Last week at the range it put 5 39gr BK's through one hole at 100yds...don't know if it will do that every time but that's still good enough for an off the shelf gun.
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

As the fellow posters above, I just bought a Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist M40 Style Series 1000 (SKU# 1000) stock for a new new build on a bare Remington 700 SA action (Brownell's has the bare short actions for sale again at $370). These stocks are direct replacements for many Remington models including the SPS. Consider that Cooper uses a B&C stock on the Phoenix, and Nosler uses them on the M-48 custom rifle. They have a full aluminum bedding block that runs into the fore end and grip for rigidity. The stock that arrived appears to be well made and ready to use, or can be skim bedded. An additional feature is that the recoil lug mortise is made to fit thicker Remington target type recoil lugs without machining the aluminum block. Price was $258.24 including 2nd day UPS from Stocky's Stocks. I have used McMillan stocks and while they are good, one has to decide if the expense and wait is offset by any gain in advantage. On a Remington 700 action, I doubt the McMillan will perform any better.

On this build I'll forward the action to Greg Tannel to have one of his new double pinned recoil lugs for stocks with a bedding block installed. While he has it, I'll have the firing pin bushed and the pin turned, the bolt double sleeved and the bolt and action lugs matched. Just as much fun as hot-rodding and a lot less mess.
Joker09
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FCV

Post by Joker09 »

Not to steal this thread, but I figured my question would be better fit here than starting a whole new thread. First of all, I'm fairly new to the .204 world. I just picked up a savage model 12 FCV and truly do love the gun but prefer the feel/look of the tactical stocks. Going off what was offered earlier, I looked into Choate and found the stock I'd like but am unsure if it will work with my rifle. On the Choate site under the savage model 12 section, the stock is the "Tactical Stock Savage Short Action Detachable Magazine"(last on the list). I guess what I'm asking is if it is compatible with my rifle for a swap over. Heres a link to the stock: https://secure.riflestock.com/catalog_p ... wProduct=0
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated
stef
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by stef »

I like wood stocks and having being very responsive to authority will attempt to provide pics.

Nothing like attacking a clubby chunk of walnut with chisels, files, scrapers, rasps, and finally sandpaper to come up with a 8) stock that you like using and that perfectly fits you and your needs.

I just like the feel of wood especially on bigger rifles that kick hard but gotta admit that plastics and synthetics are better for super extreme use.