204 twist rate for leadfree bullets

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
bfishj
.204 Ruger Guns: cooper

204 twist rate for leadfree bullets

Post by bfishj »

I'm looking at buying a 204 upper from White Oak for my AR. The gun will be used primarily for shooting ground squirrels. I am planning on going with a 24" barrel but had a question related to twist. The lead free bullets (Barnes grenade and Nosler Leadfree BT) are obviously longer than their lead counterparts. Will a 1:12 twist be the best combo for lighter bullets? I understand the larger surface area of the bullet can have an effect on the twist as well. I have a cooper 204 with a 1:12 that shoots the varmint grenades pretty well +/- 5/8". The other option is a 1:10 twist. Thanks for your help!
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: 204 twist rate for leadfree bullets

Post by Bill K »

I have not shot any lead free grenades in my 204, but the 50 gr ones in my 1-12 twist 223 will not stablize, they keyhole. The box says 1-10 or faster, so I guess they are right. I would guess that the faster twist would also apply in the 204. Someone should offer more into than what i can. Bill K :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Per Mike Harris at Nosler, their BTLF's (Ballistic Tip Lead-Free) will all work in a 1/12 twist or faster. Their 35gr .224" BTLF will work in a 1/14 twist. All their BTLF bullets were engineered to work in the prevailing twists usually found in factory rifles.

I've used the 35gr BTLF in my both my Ruger No.1 .223 and my Cooper M21 in .223, and I could not tell the difference from using the regular 40gr BT. The squirrels didn't seem to notice either; same splat effect, same launch capability. Accuracy seemed to be the same, did not shoot them on paper, only at Skippy and his pals so can't show you any bughole targets.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

bfishj
.204 Ruger Guns: cooper

Post by bfishj »

Thanks for the help guys...looks the the 1:12 should work fine. In hindsight I would have gone with the 1:10 but live and learn.
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

I have a shilen match 1:10 twist on my ar in 204 It shoots varmit grenades in the threes for five shot groups at a hundred yards! I shot a ground squirrl this morning with one. The squrril flew six feet in the air and what was left was a nrrow strip of fur! Amazing!
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Interesting, Rio and Valar, what load are you using? In my .223 and 22-250 the 50 grainers keyhole, and I have tried various loads and powders. Just curious.. this is with a 1/12 twist. Bill K
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill K wrote:Interesting, Rio and Valar, what load are you using?
Bill -

When I shot the 35gr Nosler BTLF's on that squirrel shoot, I used my standard 40gr BT 223 Rem load of 27.5grs of H335 seated just off the lands. Both terminal performance and accuracy seemed the full equal of my usual 40gr BT 223 Rem load....maybe a slight perception of reduced "recoil". I also shot them in my 14 twist walkabout Sako Vixen Sporter in 223 Rem on both squirrels and chucks with the same results. HTH
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

Bill K wrote:Interesting, Rio and Valar, what load are you using? In my .223 and 22-250 the 50 grainers keyhole, and I have tried various loads and powders. Just curious.. this is with a 1/12 twist. Bill K
Bill, I have a awsome load with 25 Grains Alliant 10 x it seems most consistant. I have also had similar and faster groups with 26.5 Grains. All other test fell off the mark. I shot a tighter group at 26.5 grains but had a flyer! The hotter load has more flyers. This is with 26 G VarmitGrenade bullet, Win Brass and cci Magnum primers. I Caution! I seldom post my loads, as what works in my barrel most likley will not in yours! I encourage people, for utmost accuracy do your own load work up! My 26.5 grain load is listed at close to max pressure, work up slowley and stay safe! Check for pressure sighns! Most all long time reloaders know this ,but for the newbee , catching a bolt in the teeth or a receiver explosion would not be pleasant!!!!! STAY SAFE!
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Okay guys I am going to have to give those a try. I know what you are saying and I always reduce loads I see used on the sites, as you say, it may not work in my gun, but did in the other guys.. Always better safe than sorry. Thank you two. Bill K :D