Bore Scopes

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Bore Scopes

Post by Jim White »

Often here I see entries of Savage vs CZ vs Remington vs Tikka vs Cooper and so on... Today, I used a bore scope and looked at a couple of barrels and let me just say, the CZ barrel (204 w/ about 500 rounds down the tube) looks evey bit as good as the Lilja video over on you tube. Remington, it was OK but nearly as clean, the Kreiger target barrel looked pretty good too. Didn't look thru a Savage (I only have 17 HMR in that brand). Naturally, a bore free of maching/tooling marks is only part of the equation (the others being uniformity of lands and grooves and fitting).

Just thought I would share this thought for those interested in the various brands. In fact, I may order a spare CZ barrel just to have on hand when this one is shot out. It looked that good.

HTH,
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Re: Bore Scopes

Post by Ray P »

Jim I agree 100% that a bore scope lets see whats happening inside a barrel. I keep saying I going to by one, but never get all the funds put aside?? I've used one once to look down a worn schilen barrel I shot the heck out of. Also looked down one of my Ruger #1 barrels when I 1st got it. It is amazing to see how certain metals take on machining marks, when going thru the rifling and chambering process.
Thanks
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Ray...it was definetly an education for me.
cracker

Post by cracker »

Jim
I can't wait to use a scope on my CZ varminter. This rifle has I would guess around 3000 rounds thru it and it has never seen a brush or cleaning rod inside her bore. I have used nothing but the foaming bore cleaners on it. I friend has a scope and I should be hooking up with him at the range soon and he will brind his scope. I will keep you all posted on the condition of the bore.
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

cracker --I am utterly amazed that you have used only foaming bore cleaners and have 3000 rounds through your rifle. That is GREAT!!! Just curious, about your statement, that even though you use foaming bore cleaners in your CZ Varminter:
This rifle has I would guess around 3000 rounds thru it and it has never seen a brush or cleaning rod inside her bore.
(Emphasis added by me) what do you use to get the foaming bore cleaner out of the barrel if you don't use a patch or two on a spear-tipped jag on the end of a cleaning rod?? Do you use a BoreSnake-like device?
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Some random musings:

I remember a fellow that had a three year old prospective cutting horse's front legs x-rayed before he purchased her. Turns out she had a few signs of early bone disease in her pasterns, so he passed. That mare turned out to be a national champion that never had a day of lameness. (I really enjoy watching a good cutting horse work.)

Moral: If it shoots, it's performing. Performance is the only diagnostic that matters. A barrel that doesn't perform, needs replacement, no amount of staring down the bore will fix it. Bore scopes are useful for manufacturers of barrels to check for internal flaws - along with precision air gauges. That's why I purchase barrels from aftermarket sources that inspect their products before shipping. The actual benefit of a bore scope to a shooter is questionable. Barrel quality relative to accuracy can not be foretold prior to shooting, several barrels that appear perfect will still perform with varying degrees of accuracy. Some rough barrels will outperform smooth ones and no body knows why. A shooter may discover a torn land, a rough lead or chamber caused by a chip that welded on to the reamer, or a dull reamer, or any number of defects, but the solution remains replacement.

Interpretation of diagnostic imagery requires expertise and training - try reading an x-ray or MRI, and even then imaging artifacts can led to ambiguous results and misdiagnoses.

I think I'll save the money a bore scope costs, and just scrap out inaccurate barrels - they can't be salvaged unless the crown is the culprit, and for that I don't need a bore scope. I've been pushing cleaning rods down barrels for 40 plus years, without any ill effects whatever. Usually I become bored with a cartridge or rifle before the barrel wears out, and screw on a new answer-to-all-my-desires barrel chambered in the latest fabulous fad cartridge everyone is talking about. Bore scope manufacturers may disagree, but they are invested in increasing market size, nothing more. :D
cracker

Post by cracker »

Silver fox
I use the method that an air gunner buddy showed me. You take some heavy fishing line. double it and feed it down the bore from the muzzle loop end first. then simply put a patch in the lope and pull it thru. do this until the patches come out clean. hope thats clearer then mud. I have not been able to get a hold of the buddy with the scope but we both just joined a new range and we should meet up soon
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker