Tweaked my 204, just a little.

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Tweaked my 204, just a little.

Post by sharptailhunter »

I purchased this Savage FV12 early last year. I bought it used off an online auction site. It came as you see it here:

Despite having an El Cheapo Tasco scope, it was accurate and fun to shoot. I was able to kill a few rock chucks with it. I loved shooting it, but I hated the factory stock. So, I looked and looked but didn't really see what I wanted, until I found the McRee Precision stock. Fortunately, I live near a retailer of them, Idaho Armory. Tim is super nice and was way easy to work with. A few pennies later, I had this:

I couldn't just leave well enough alone, so I swapped out the bolt handle for one sold by Stockade Gun Stocks. Very nice people from the great state of Nebraska. I also installed their lift kit, which really helps smooth out the bolt, I think. I went with an EGW one piece picatinny rail and Burris tactical rings. I then decided it needed a little more color thrown on there. So, my buddy and I learned how to use Cerakote. He was a ton of help and his Duracoat experience helped out a lot. The Cerakote was a little different to use, but I love it and it think it will last a long time. Here's an up close shot:

Here are some in the field. First, 5ft away:

And, about 20ft away:

I really think it blends in well. In natural light, the color we used to paint the base color on the scope doesn't match the base color used everywhere else. I'm not too worried because next week, the Crapsco is coming off and my new Zeiss 6.5-20x50 varminter reticle will be going on! I really just wanted to experiment with the crapy scope before I media blasted the new baby. I'll still be hesitant, but optimistic ;)
Last edited by sharptailhunter on Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Tweeked my 204, just a little.

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Wow....all I can say is "Well Done Sir!"

Excellent job of camo by the way. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Re: Tweaked my 204, just a little.

Post by ryutzy »

Suweet! Thats what I call an extreme makeover Gun Edition right there!! Can I send you my AR to add camo? lol I like!
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

Very impressive. I'm going to go check out that McRree website.
NESHOOTER
.204 Ruger Guns: SAVAGE 12 VLP/DBM 26'' LAM-STK/FLTD SS BLL/

Post by NESHOOTER »

Very nice what was your prep for cleaning the rifle? Before you painting process, I have some I would like to do I've done a shotgun for turkey but when I think of messing up my $$$$ highend big bore shooters I cringe at the thought of a poor out come.
Semper Fi
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by sharptailhunter »

NESHOOTER wrote: what was your prep for cleaning the rifle? Before you painting process...
The whole thing was Cerakoted. So, I plugged the muzzle and the chamber, thus isolating the bore. Then everything got hit with 70 grit aluminium oxide. I did the bolt, barrel, action and any accessories (scope, rings and such). Then degreased with acetone. We heated everything that we were going to oven cure to 220 degrees F then let em cool. That was to see what areas, if any, needed to be degreased again. Around the bolt lug locking area, there was more grease. It took some patience and a lot of acetone and it finally was grease free. The oven cure was sprayed on and then baked per the directions that came with the Cerakote. The rest was air cure stuff. Some of it was sprayed on using my small Harbour Freight air gun, the rest was sprayed onto different sponges and then dabbed on to create the cammo look. It's not hard, just takes time. I waited at least a day between air cure applications. It's different than paint in that the more you apply in an area, the uglier it looks. I guess it's kind of an apply once and leave it alone thing. The OD green was the last color to go on and it sorts looked glossy where as everything else was a lot flatter. I suppose one could scratch the surface of the existing colors over which he was to apply the green? I also think it was because the sponge was applying a heavier coat than the air gun would. The Cerakote is very thin and a 4 oz bottle would easily do a few guns. It's pricey, but I don't have to worry about it coming off. It actually smoothed up the action. The bolt, lugs and races all got coated and now it slides in and out like silk. The coolest thing is that if any grease or other schmagma gets on there, good old brake cleaner takes the grunge off and leaves the Cerakote behind. I love how durable it is. I may be painting my handguns soon, it's so cool.
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Post by steve »

Looks great.