Cooper Rifle Triggers

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Malazan
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper .204

Cooper Rifle Triggers

Post by Malazan »

Are Cooper Triggers fully adjustable? Has anyone ever found the need to mess with their trigger on a Cooper Rifle?

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Cooper Rifle Triggers

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Malazan: "Yes", the Cooper trigger is fully adjustable.

To fend off another possible future question: Jard is the only manufacturer I'm aware of that supplies after market triggers for Cooper rifles. Jewell did for a short time, but got into a tiff with Cooper, so only the Jard trigger is available as an aftermarket trigger (for now) for these rifles.

The factory Cooper triggers are made very well, and can be adjusted to a nice break point without any creep or overtravel.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Attached is an old photo of a collaborative effort on Saubier from maybe 10 years ago. I think it is still relevant, but the Rob Behr mentioned left Cooper Arms long before old Dan got ousted, so that dates it somewhat.

Read the caution messages in the directions before attempting to do anything on your own....!! Use the picture for information, but if you're not sure what you're doing, send it to Cooper or to a competent smith that will get it right.

A "BR light or an ounces light" trigger was not built into Dan Cooper's original trigger design..... If it's smooth and crisp now, personally I'd leave it alone... Dan designed and built hunting rifles, not BR rifles.

And if you call Cooper, don't expect Rob to answer the phone, but one of Hugo's folks will help you out.

-BCB
Malazan
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper .204

Post by Malazan »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Malazan: "Yes", the Cooper trigger is fully adjustable.

To fend off another possible future question: Jard is the only manufacturer I'm aware of that supplies after market triggers for Cooper rifles. Jewell did for a short time, but got into a tiff with Cooper, so only the Jard trigger is available as an aftermarket trigger (for now) for these rifles.

The factory Cooper triggers are made very well, and can be adjusted to a nice break point without any creep or overtravel.

RIO, what are your Cooper triggers set at?

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
blkdog

Post by blkdog »

The Cooper triggers are very good and they are adjustible. If you want a particular pull wt., you can have the trigger adjusted by the factory. My shooting buddy was in Stevensville last summer and he dropped his two Coopers off in the AM and picked them up that afternoon with both triggers adjusted to 1.5 pounds at no charge! Coopers people and service are second to none.
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

They come form the factory (allegedly) adjusted to around 2.5#. I've never checked mine (.204 21, .221 38) with a gauge, mainly because I don't have snap caps to fit yet (don't even know where to find a .221FB - maybe shorten a .222 cap?), but that feels about right on each one.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Malazan wrote:RIO, what are your Cooper triggers set at?
Can't say for certain, never put my pull gauge on any of them, but I've got them adjusted as low pull weight as the design will allow and still be safe. I'd guess around 1.5 lbs. Not as light as a Jewell HVR, but fully light enough for bench work and just heavy enough for walking about in the field.

I'm tossing about the idea of putting Jard triggers in all my Coopers, but the cost equals the price of an off the shelf rifle, so they'll be just fine for now. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

I tweeked mine down to 1.5 lbs per the instructions BCB posted. Gary
Griffy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25

Post by Griffy »

When you are adjusting this trigger pull weight down to 1.5 - 2 lbs., are you just adjusting the trigger pressure screw in small increments? I realize you will still have to check the safety but I was wondering if the desired trigger pulled could be accomplished with this one screw?

Thanks
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Griffy wrote:I was wondering if the desired trigger pulled could be accomplished with this one screw?
Griffy: Yes it can. Be sure though to check the rifle will not AD by bumping the butt on a carpeted floor after all adjustments have been completed.

The overtravel adjustment is usually spot-on from the factory, same for the sear engagement. You may need to dink about with the overtravel....maybe, but I'd recommend NOT fooling about with the sear engagement. JMO
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Griffy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25

Post by Griffy »

Thanks. This Cooper is my first non Savage rifle. I have a few Savages with accutriggers and they are so easy to adjust.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

The Cooper trigger is very much like the M700 in terms of adjustment, and fairly easy to adjust properly. Just be sure to do the "bump" test when you're all finished up to preclude any possibility of an AD. :eek: .
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA