Barrel Life

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
TunTav0321
.204 Ruger Guns: Model 12 Savage

Barrel Life

Post by TunTav0321 »

I am new to the .204 and was wondering what kind of barrel life you folks are getting. While I have a safe full of rifles I do love long range shooting with these small caliber's. I have and was shooting with great results a 6.5mm.284 I really liked shooting that round but just could not live with the barrel life or lack of same. So this question arose.....

Roland
Protected people will never be able to understand the intensity life CAN be lived at. To do that you must complettly understand the meaning of the word "DUCK"
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Re: Barrel Life

Post by Silverfox »

My Savage 12VLP in .204 Ruger has had 2,702 shots run down the barrel and it is still going strong. If you use them and don't abuse them, I think they will go a looooong time.

I bought a new super match grade stainless steel 1 in 11 twist three groove Pac-Nor barrel two years ago, thinking I would rebarrel the old Savage 12VLP fairly soon, but that barrel is still sitting in my reloading room waiting to be chambered and installed.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
TunTav0321
.204 Ruger Guns: Model 12 Savage

Post by TunTav0321 »

Thanks Fox, That is some of the information I am looking for. I shoot quite a bit, old habit from long ago. Nothing unusualy for me to shot 100 to 150 rounds on a day, and I like to shoot 3 or maybe 4 times a week when I can. I competed for sevreal years at BPCR Silhouette and for me and that game it was practice, practice and then some more practice. Today I take three rifles with me to the range so I get to split up the shooting amoung those. The 6.5mm 284 was a barrel eater, great and very accurate cartridge but it just eats up barrels. Today I live in Alabama and I cannot find anyone that will rebarrel, that makes barrel life important to me.

I am hopeing that my Model 12 Savage does as well on barrels as yours is doing. Thanks again for the response!!!

Roland
Protected people will never be able to understand the intensity life CAN be lived at. To do that you must complettly understand the meaning of the word "DUCK"
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

TunTav0321 wrote: Today I live in Alabama and I cannot find anyone that will rebarrel, that makes barrel life important to me.

Roland

Not so much a problem with the Savage.
You can buy a prefit factory barrel or an aftermarket custom for comparitevly small change. Buy a wrench and barrel vise or make your own and swap out a tube in 15 minutes or so. That includes removing optics, stock, barrel and reassembling in 15 minutes.
All in the privacy of your own home, No gunsmiths$$$ required.
Boltheads are replaceable also. Cartridge combinations are just about limitless as long as you don't mind single feeding.

Northlander (Jim Briggs) on Savageshooters.com is the man you want to know if you need replacements of anything Savage.

I say Fire That Thing Up :D Enjoy

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
senderoll
.204 Ruger Guns: remington xr 100

Post by senderoll »

Hello all! My remington xr 100 is approaching the 3000 round mark and is still holding its own. I did notice on my last trip out on the prairie that I was starting to get more copper fouling than normal. Also, it seemed like I had to clean it more often.