6 mm 75 gr vmax

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

6 mm 75 gr vmax

Post by ryutzy »

I'm having trouble finding the 75 gr Vmax in .243 anywhere. I did find one box for 30 bucks ( a ridiculous price) and I did not buy it. Everyone is out of stock and has been for months. Does anyone know of a place to buy these? I have a few boxes but would like to stock up.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Bubba

Re: 6 mm 75 gr vmax

Post by Bubba »

Try grafs.com. I had been looking for .25 cal. 75 gr. V-Max's for nearly a year and they finally got a whole bunch of those dudes on the shelf. They said it had something to do with the scheduling of production runs at Hornaday. I hope you find your 6mm bullets.

Bub
I may not learn fast but I learn good.
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

Thanks for the tip, but nope they are outa stock just like the rest of the world. :wall:
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Hmmm...I wonder why? I'd give Hornady a shout and maybe they can shed some light. I'm pretty sure I saw some today at a local shop but I won't be back that way againf for another week. In a pinch the 70gr Nosler BT works pretty good.
mcseal2
.204 Ruger Guns: building one

Post by mcseal2 »

I haven't seen any down this way. I still have 2 boxes, and didn't realize they were that short of supply until I started looking for 87gr V-max's. I hate this bullet shortage, I have a 264 sitting in the safe that I'd like to be perfecting loads for but with I'm down to my last 30 140gr Bergers, and will save them for hunting with the load I want to tweak. There is still no expected ship date.
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

I cant even find the 6MM 75 or 87 grain vmax on Hornadys website anymore. I will call them tomorrow to see why. I hope they are not discontinuing that bullet which would make me very angry. That was the perfect 6mm varmint bullet. I have not been able to find a great replacement for it that has a BC like the vmax. I know there are 70 grain offering out there by Nosler and Sierra, but still dont have the BC of the 75 gr vmax. I may have to check out some 80 grainers. I will see what hornady says tomorrow.
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

Well I talked to hornady today and according to them it will be at least another month till any stores get the 6MM 75gr Vmax. I do believe that also goes for the 87 grain. They are not making any at the current time. Surprises me since this bullet is in high demand. I also asked about their new reloading manual (8th edition) and why it does not include more information for the Superperformance powder for the most popular calibers. I got no satifactory answer. He told me it included some information for the .243. I told him apparantly that information got left out of my manual as I dont have any info for superperformance in .243 in my manual. I basically got the runaround. Hodgdons site has one load for this powder. So I guess I will be waiting and conserving my current stash of Vmaxes.
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Thats good to know, I'll be holding on to some of mine too. Maybe I can start playing with the 105 AMAX's, they've been scarce for a while.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

I have been trying to find some 87 gr V-max's for over a year now. My supplier from BC informed me that production should be starting some time early this spring. I am also anticipating some 87 gr berger VLD's to arrive along with the V-max's.
Savage Vaporizer
mcseal2
.204 Ruger Guns: building one

Post by mcseal2 »

Gube wrote:I have been trying to find some 87 gr V-max's for over a year now. My supplier from BC informed me that production should be starting some time early this spring. I am also anticipating some 87 gr berger VLD's to arrive along with the V-max's.
I got to test the 87gr berger for them while they were developing it. It is a devastating bullet for whitetail, we shot 3 between 75 and 230yds and none made it more than 20yds after the shot. None of the bullets exited and the internal damage was really impressive. I had poor results with it on coyotes though. None of the coyotes I shot dropped instantly and several ran for a good distance. The berger VLD hunting bullets are designed to penetrate 2-3" before beginning expansion which is pretty deep into a coyote. All the ones I shot exited yotes and left a pretty small exit wound, not dumping energy in the animal. PM me with your email if you want and I can send you my file with all my test results on this bullet.

I have never been able to buy 87gr v-max's yet but I've shot over 100 coyotes with the 75gr v-max in the 243 and it is my favorite coyote bullet. Few exit wounds and fewer coyotes that move after the shot.
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

According to Midway, they have 75 MAX .243 bullets available.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

mcseal2 wrote:
Gube wrote:I have been trying to find some 87 gr V-max's for over a year now. My supplier from BC informed me that production should be starting some time early this spring. I am also anticipating some 87 gr berger VLD's to arrive along with the V-max's.
I got to test the 87gr berger for them while they were developing it. It is a devastating bullet for whitetail, we shot 3 between 75 and 230yds and none made it more than 20yds after the shot. None of the bullets exited and the internal damage was really impressive. I had poor results with it on coyotes though. None of the coyotes I shot dropped instantly and several ran for a good distance. The berger VLD hunting bullets are designed to penetrate 2-3" before beginning expansion which is pretty deep into a coyote. All the ones I shot exited yotes and left a pretty small exit wound, not dumping energy in the animal. PM me with your email if you want and I can send you my file with all my test results on this bullet.

I have never been able to buy 87gr v-max's yet but I've shot over 100 coyotes with the 75gr v-max in the 243 and it is my favorite coyote bullet. Few exit wounds and fewer coyotes that move after the shot.

PM sent
Savage Vaporizer
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

Well I've finally got more 75 grain Vmax for the ole .243. I stocked up for a while.............I've got 1400+ sitting on my shelves now waiting patiently to be loaded and launched at high velocities at some unlucky varmint. I got them from Midway USA as they finally got some in stock. I got a sale price for them so that was nice.