M700 Shilen Competition Rifle Trigger

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

M700 Shilen Competition Rifle Trigger

Post by Trent »

I just recently picked up a Remington 700 SPS Varminter in .204 Ruger. I am not a fan of the new X-mark Pro trigger for many reasons. If they hadn't changed the trigger blade, and if they hadn't started making the trigger and sear out of injected metal I would probably still like it (I am very much a fan of pre 2006 M700 triggers). Due to the fact that I don't like the feel of the X-mark Pro I thought I would swap it out and sell it before anything goes wrong with it (I've seen too many of the trigger blades broken off at the adjustment screw for me to be comfortable keeping it).

I've ordered two triggers (I was in the mood, and I have many M700s). I ordered a new Rifle Basix 4oz to 20oz trigger, and also a Shilen Competition Rifle Trigger which is 2oz to 6oz. I picked up the Shilen for $60 on Gun Broker because the auction stated "unknown make", and I knew exactly what it was. I haven't received the Rifle Basix trigger yet, but I just installed the Shilen... which finally leads me to my question.

Operationally it is working fantastic and I do LOVE the feel of it. When the bolt is closed the cocking piece is flush with the bolt shroud. Typically, in the cocked position, the cocking piece sticks out about .088" from the bolt shroud. Here are two photos with both bolts cocked to express what I mean (a photo is worth a thousand words :lol: )

What do you fellas think will result from this, if anything? It feels and sounds normal when I dry fire it. Solid snap. Maybe light primer strikes?

This one is my .22-250 and shows the normal protrusion (cocked).

This is my .204 with the Shilen installed (cocked).
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Re: M700 Shilen Competition Rifle Trigger

Post by bow shot »

Can't imagine anything from Shilen to be even kinda off. I'd wager nothing is even slightly wrong.. just different.
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

bow shot wrote:Can't imagine anything from Shilen to be even kinda off. I'd wager nothing is even slightly wrong.. just different.
You are absolutely right. A gentleman over on SnipersHide was nice enough to PM me and explain it to me in great detail. Evidently, not only is there NOT a problem, but it actually resolves a problem with "timing" of the firing pin with the trigger system. With the factory triggers you have to do a lot of unnecessary preloading of the mainspring. With the Shilen trigger the firing pin and trigger meet up nearly perfectly timed for camming the bolt into the closed position. This results in a much easier bolt manipulation.

So... no problem. It's actually a good thing. Just like you "wagered". :mrgreen:
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

ahhh... don't you love it when things turn out nice for a change?!!