Kimber Rifles

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Malazan
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper .204

Kimber Rifles

Post by Malazan »

I have my eye on a Kimber 84m Varmint in .204

Does anyone have any experience with Kimber?

I keep reading all of these Horror Stories about Kimber Rifles not shooting worth a darn:eek:

I so want to like this rifle :(

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Kimber Rifles

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Malazan: I've only got experience with one Kimber M84M in 204R if that means anything. All my other 204's are set up as single shot bench/rat rifles, and my Kimber is the only repeater by design. It's not the best shooting of my 204's when compared to my Cooper, Sako and a custom Pac-Nor 11 twist M700, but is easily a constant 1/2" rifle with Nosler 32gr BT's and Benchmark. It has shot in the .3's, and as high as the .6's, but can be counted on to shoot well enough for any coyote or rock chuck I'm likely to encounter. I'm sure there are other M84's that shoot better than mine, but half inch is decent enough for a repeater in the field (for me).

Mine is set up with a Leupold VX-3, 4.5-14X LR M1, and has a pretty good track record so far.

I'm also a fan of the old M70's, and these little Kimbers, being basically a scaled down Model 70, feel right at home in my hands. Bring it home, I don't think you'll be disappointed. (Then later when you want to punch bugholes, bring home your Cooper ;) )
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Malazan

Post by Malazan »

Thanks, I put it on order. 3 Month wait :(

Are those scope bases on your rifle Dual Dovetail Luepold?

I have a 6.5-20x40mm VX-3 going on it. Can I use low rings? I was also looking at Talley Xtra Low Rings. They are .300, I don't know if that would clear the bell or not?

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

The scope has a 40mm objective, I used Leupold Low rings and Dual Dovetail bases as you surmised. Nice and low over the bore, enables a very good cheekweld. Don't know about the Talley's though.

Did you upgrade the wood or just order the 84M Varminter in 204R? You're about to find out just how long three months really is........(remember that the anticipation is half the fun.)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Rick,
I usually agree with what you post. Today, I have to take issue with one of your comments. As you may recall, you had a hand in me ordering a Cooper. That was in October and it is not due until January-March. I can assure you that I have found the anticipation to be less than fun. Can't sleep, lost my appetite, can't concentrate on work, don't want to prep any fresh brass for the Savage because it's reserved for the Cooper. I have slipped into a state of deep depression that can only be cured by the presence of a new Cooper. Oh, evil man! Okay, I admit it, I love knowing it's on order.
Malazan,
I hope the time passes quickly for you. Enjoy your new Kimber!
Malazan

Post by Malazan »

Rick in Oregon wrote:The scope has a 40mm objective, I used Leupold Low rings and Dual Dovetail bases as you surmised. Nice and low over the bore, enables a very good cheekweld. Don't know about the Talley's though.

Did you upgrade the wood or just order the 84M Varminter in 204R? You're about to find out just how long three months really is........(remember that the anticipation is half the fun.)

I didn't know you could upgrade the wood :mad:

Live Hard

WnMag
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber 84M Pro Varmint .204 Ruger- Cooper M21

Post by WnMag »

Well just to rub it in I didnt have to order mine. Infact I held the Cooper in my hands for awhile, then Rob handed me the Kimber Pro Varmint, the Laminated stock and flutted barrel just seemed to pop. He took a 100.00 off for cash on the spot. However I did have to order the scope, a Zeiss 6.5-20x50 Milldot.
Dont know how well it shoots yet,, but hopefully one of these Mondays or Tuesdays(my weekend) It will be above freezing with no wind. :chin:
I think it was me....or the wind.
Boba
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber 84 M Pro Varmint

Post by Boba »

I have owned a Kimber 84M in .204 Ruger for several months now. It is as it came from the factory and I have scoped it with a Leupold 3.5-10x Vari X III. I am very satisfied with the accuracy, having tried several handloads, but the two loads it seems to shoot best so far are the Hornady 32 gr. factory load and the Federal Premium 39 grain Sierra Blitzking. I've shot 31-3 shot groups at 100 yards off the bench in all kinds of weather and the average of those is .512". The 32 grain Hornadys will do about as well. I've not tried Varget or RL-10x yet though. I am itching to shoot a coyote with this combo but haven't had the opportunity. The quality and handling characteristics of this rig seem to be pretty good.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Boba wrote:I have owned a Kimber 84M in .204 Ruger for several months now.

Nothing personal, Boba, we just like pictures around here. If you're gonna hang out here, you gotta play by our rules....that means pictures! ;) Welcome to the forum, keep us posted as to how the new Kimber 204 shoots.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Yeah what Rick said. :mrgreen:

Pictures are easier to read too. :lol: :lol:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Boba

Post by Boba »

I am not that computer literate but my daughter is home from Purdue for Christmas, and she certainly is, so we will try to post picture with some targets I shot recently...
Glen

Post by Glen »

:mrgreen:

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
Boba

Post by Boba »

Here are some pictures, which we are not pros at taking...but the rifle is handy, light and stable, and appears to be accurate. The Leupold scope is, as alwaysclear with concise adjuistments. I am thinking the rifle will shoot tighter if I can find the right handload, but I don't consider 31-3 shot groups with factory loads at just over 1/2" to be "bad"..These are some groups recently shot a our local Fish & Wildlife range; you can shoot all day for an initial fee of $4.00....
Glen

Post by Glen »

That is a sweeeet rig you got there!! I have two with that same laminate stock,, rimfires tho,, & think highly of it. A little tweaking & you should have that rig right where you want it. All those groups under 1/2" shows consistency on you & the rifles behalf. :wink:

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
Boba

Post by Boba »

I always feel better when shooting something and had the day off 12/23 so took the Kimber to the local Fish & Wildlife range which features covered benches, with heated restrooms over the winter (as you age, this becomes more important).
Nice thing about this facility is, it opens at 9 am and you can shoot till 4 pm for $4.00. I wanted to try the new -to-me Federal Premium 32 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip factory loads and compare these to the Federal Sierra 39 gr. factory loads I have been shooting. There was a wind from the northwest and the temperature was about 28 degrees with intermittent snow showers but I had the range to myself for once. Thought I would update my range report on the Kimber 84M and post a picture while I still have my photo experts (son and daughter) home to assist me....