204 cooper

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
flyincl
.204 Ruger Guns: none

204 cooper

Post by flyincl »

Wow I just got a new 204 Cooper. I shoot ground squierles at 20 yrs to 250 yards and the results were unbelivable i was shooting factory 30 gr hornadays.
but the bolt was a little stikiy to open does any one know if this is normal?
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: 204 cooper

Post by Clint E »

Congrats on the cooper. I dont own one yet but i hear they are really sweat.
Somebody will be along to help with your question.
Remember we like storys and pics : :mrgreen:
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Yeah, mine's pretty stiff, too; so is my Model 38 .221 FB. (both new.) But might be the nature of the "beast".
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I have yet to see a cooper with a smooth bolt. Every time I see one a my local shop I cycle the bolt only to become extremely disappointed. With all the "talk" here pumping them up, I'm sure you expected a lot better. I know I did. My Cooper bolt is so sloppy it hangs up on the load/ejection port :eew: No Cooper I ever handled even comes close to the smoothness of the clunky bolts on my Savages . And that's a fact!
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

My two Cooper bolts are as smooth as glass....dunno about the others. The smooth bolt operation was one of the things that lured me to the brand, besides the eye candy factor of course. The accuracy is just icing on the proverbial cake to me.

But hey flyincl, you're new here, but.........

(Don't take it personal.....we abuse everyone here equally.... ;) )
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Mine's smooth! All the ones I've played with have been smooth too. Anyone with a Cooper that they don't want just send it my way. I'll give it a good home! :D
jdefranc938
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper 21 Varminter .204 Ruger

Post by jdefranc938 »

Mine is a touch stiff on the lift (solid feeling action). Rest is as smooth as a baby's behind! Gotta love a Cooper! Oh, and like Rick said, PICTURES!!!!
Cooper M21 Varminter 204 Ruger with Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm LR VHR
Custom Remington 700 6.5 x 47L with Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 M1 TMR
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

jdefranc938 wrote:Mine is a touch stiff on the lift (solid feeling action). Rest is as smooth as a baby's behind!
Same here.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Hawkeye Joe wrote:No Cooper I ever handled even comes close to the smoothness of the clunky bolts on my Savages . And that's a fact!
I would say exactly the opposite, but also must admit that the only Cooper I've spent time with was my own. I've compared mine with four Savage varmint rifles (two being LRPVs) and the difference was night and day. The Savage actions I used all felt sloppy, with a ton of play in them. They also shot really well, so I'm not knocking the guns in any way. Just saying the actions felt completely different to me, with my Cooper being much, much tighter.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

My Savage is loose as a goose but extremely accurate. My Cooper Pheonix in .204R? Can't comment on that, it was just ordered and is 4-6 months out! A personal thank you to Rick for all the helpfull encouragement (my wife may have a different opinion, however).
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

No worries, RAMOS......glad to hear your new Cooper is on the way. Be sure to post some pics when it's ready for Prime-Time.

On the views of your wife......some of my friends get put on 'restriction', as their wives have said I'm "too expensive to hang out with"...... Hey, when your own funds are limited, what better way to have fun than spend someone elses money, right? :lol:

Seriously though, if your Phoenix shoots anywhere near as good as Captqc's does, you're in for a real treat. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Rick, yes it feels good knowing I have a Cooper in my future. My 7 yr old is a lefty as well, nice to know there will be something special to leave him when the old man is gone. I'm sure your' not too worried about my wife. Just so you know, I have kept your' name and identity confidential. You are simply known as "that guy with the Coopers". One must protect the true Gun Guru's!
Quoddy
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Montana Varminter

Post by Quoddy »

When opening the bolt after firing, my Cooper seemed a bit tight for several hundred rounds. It would seem that once I began using fire formed (Norma) brass, both opening and closing were constant and very, very smooth.
Cooper Montana Varminter (.204 Ruger) with Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 (Ballistic Turret/Plex reticule)
Big_Bullseye
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 Varmint Stainless - Custom Noveske AR15 .204

Post by Big_Bullseye »

Did someone say Cooper? Sorry couldn't resist. Bolt on my model 38 is slightly tight, spiral fluted bolt on the 52 is smooth as glass.

Doveryai no Proveryai