CLEANING THE ACTION

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

CLEANING THE ACTION

Post by RAMOS »

What tricks do you guys use to clean your' bolt action actions? Specifically, the lug area. I know Sinclair has a tool just for this. I have always used bent Q-Tips but I don't think they do a great job. Just wondering if anyone has a technique or built a gadget that produces good results. Thanks for any tips/tricks you may have.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: CLEANING THE ACTION

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I use both the Sinclair and the Holland Action Cleaning Tool....both do an excellent job. The first time you clean out the action lug locking areas, you won't believe the crap that will come out. Be sure to lightly grease your locking lugs about every 100 rounds, but be sure to clean out the crud that accumulates there too.

(I gave up on Q-Tips long ago when I found out how good these properly designed tools work.)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Ruger1
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 LRPV

Post by Ruger1 »

I totally agree with Rick. I use the Sinclair tool and it does a great job. I was shocked at the crud I had been missing. I've also learned a lot about copper fouling this year. Finally found some chemicals and a process that works well thanks to a fellow shooter in Florida.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

I use the Sinclair tool on Remingtons, Coopers etc. But easiest to clean are the Savage rifles I build. Just spin off the barrel, clean to my heart's desire with solvents and compressed air, and reinstall the barrel. Takes about 30 minutes, they are really clean.
Griffy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25

Post by Griffy »

Hi, Bolt Grease Question: The local Cabela's person advised me that they do not sell bolt grease. Grease collects dust and dirt. He recommended a product called Break Free. The military us this product exstensively for cleaning and lubricating firearms. Cabelas Winnipeg doesn't sell Break Free either. So is Break Free a reasonable substitute for bolt grease?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Oh, contraire mon frier.....you indeed DO need a tiny bit of grease on those bolt lugs (just ask any USMC armorer). Some good alternatives are any quality white lithium grease such as Lubri-Plate, or Pro Shot Gold Gun Grease, among others. I use Break-Free for many things, but it's not suitable for lugs, as being a liquid, it won't stay put as well as a quality grease intended for such use (and being a liquid, will just pool at the action/barrel junction....a real bummer for wooden stocks). It's excellent for about everything else though. A tiny dab of the right stuff (Lubri-Plate, et al) on a toothpick, smear on the locking surface of the lug, wipe away excess and you're done.

And 'yes', grease can and does collect dirt and grime, the precise reason they sell bolt lug raceway cleaning tools...go figure ;) . It's something you do about every 100 rounds, and clean the raceways and re-lubricate on the same intervals. In the field during PD or squirrel shoots, I do this task, and it takes all of about three minutes....no big deal, but CAN turn in to a big deal if not done and you start galling the lugs......never a good thing and can ruin a nice rifle. Just use the right tool for the job (cleaning), and both you and your rifle will be alot happier. :D

(You can even use high speed/high load wheel bearing grease on those lugs...used it many times with no problems whatever.)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Wrangler John wrote:I use the Sinclair tool on Remingtons, Coopers etc. But easiest to clean are the Savage rifles I build. Just spin off the barrel, clean to my heart's desire with solvents and compressed air, and reinstall the barrel. Takes about 30 minutes, they are really clean.
Yep, I swap barrels so much I've never had to worry about cleaning from the wrong end :lol:

Rick I agree 100% proper lubrication of the lugs is essential.

Ever try WS2?

I did, works pretty slick. Dry too. Not very pretty. Not something to try on a Cooper. Works great on a Sav tho ;)
Coat it once. Shoot for a couple months and recoat. its good for a year after that. Slicker than a Stiller.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

+1 on the bolt lug cleaning tools and lug grease. Don't leave home without 'em...

Galled locking lugs is one of the first things I look for if I'm interested in a used rifle. It's surprising how many perfectly good looking rifles with low round counts will have galled lugs. Especially stainless rifle actions with bolts with stainless bolt lugs....

Grease those lugs and clean them as part of the cleaning operation. When you really think about it, it's not an easy task to get very much dirt into the bolt lug area of a rifle. Most of the junk you get out when cleaning lugs areas on an action is residue from firing the rifle and ejecting the cartridge. And very few Cabelas salesmen have ever been know for their high intellect.

JMO - BCB