Ear plugs

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Ear plugs

Post by Mike »

What kind of ear plugs do you guys use while out chasing skippy? I'm looking for a new set before I hit the prairie dog patch this year and am looking over the options. I do not want muffs, so I'm limiting my search to plugs that fit in the ear. I wouldn't mind some that allow me to hear other people talking and then cancel out loud noises, but don't really need/want anything like a Walker Game Ear. What works best for you?
lanenebraska
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15 platform 204

Re: Ear plugs

Post by lanenebraska »

Hi Mike!

We just use the soft ear plugs that are attached by a poly-string type.

Cause in western Nebraska, we keep one ear un-plugged when stalking/crawling p-dogs...so we can listen for Prarie Rattle Snakes :eek: :D

Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

lanenebraska wrote:Hi Mike!

We just use the soft ear plugs that are attached by a poly-string type.

Cause in western Nebraska, we keep one ear un-plugged when stalking/crawling p-dogs...so we can listen for Prarie Rattle Snakes :eek: :D

A good set of electronic ear muffs or plugs will allow you to hear the snake probably quicker than with the human ear since they amplify normal sound levels around you and they only shut off sounds above certain decibel levels. Although the sound of a rattler will get your attention quickly, the sound level itself is of a very low decibel range...

-BCB
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Do not get the ones with the valve that goes into the ear. They do not block the sound that well and you will end up with hearing loss. I know because I used them. Get a good foam ear plug that is comfortable to wear all day. They have a good record for blocking the sound out. The higher the number on the rating the more they block out. I wear the foam plugs all the time and add Peltor ear muffs in addition when shooting the bigger guns or those with brakes on them.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

My choice will surely break the bank, but for me it was the perfect solution. I went with custom fit digital in ear units:

http://www.earinc.com/p1-electronic-hunting.php

I can use these in the shop (write off) as well as at racing events, etc. It is nice to be able to hear the crickets, birds, squirrels deer, sqeeking pdogs etc. Pull the trigger and you hear woof and all goes quiet for a VERY brief instant then you hear the sonic crack Ksssssshooooe!
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
Mike

Post by Mike »

TD-Max wrote:My choice will surely break the bank, but for me it was the perfect solution. I went with custom fit digital in ear units:
If you don't mind me asking, roughly how much does a set of those go for?
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

I think it was around $1800 for the middle series. I had my hearing tested and while OK there was room for improvement so I opted for the programmable units. Rocky Raab over at 24hr Campfire is a great resource. He's retired, but used to sell these so he's only semi biased if at all now.

They are totally off the hook if you turn them up while hunting. You would not believe how quiet it gets when you take them out. Walking sounds like you are walking on fresh potato chip bags. Take them out and it sounds like you are walking on old soggy paper bags. Traffic/road noise carries a long way. You can hear trucks on the road etc. Squirrels too sound like they are on chip bags. Whiskers on your jacket or any sort of movement is just plain loud. I can only assume that this is how animals hear. Of course you can always turn the volume down.

I operate a chassis dyno from time to time and it is quite useful to be able to hear things through the noise rather than dumbing things down with std plugs.
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
Fred_C_Dobbs
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

The best noise attenuating foam ear plugs are closed cell polyurethane. So long as they match that construction and material, I don't think there's much difference between brands. These kind are available at Wally World as well as most every drug store. Just check the label and make sure they're polyurethane. If they have a smooth surface, they also are closed cell.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Hi guys, I use these: http://www.gemplers.com/product/EAR998/ ... d-200-pair

or these: http://www.gemplers.com/product/MAX4/MA ... d-200-Pair

They reduce noise by 31 decibels for the Max or 29 decibels for the Classic. When I worked at a public firing range they were worn under muffs. Muzzle blast was so ferocious under the covered firing line it would occasionally lift the muffs and still leave your ears ringing. Even with both I lost a lot of hearing. In the field, either will protect your hearing and a case will last - a long time. I don't like wearing muffs - it's just another thing to bother with, and they sometimes get knocked about and leave my ears ringing.

My hearing aids from the Worker's Comp. Award run $4,500 to $6,000 a pair and are replaced every three years. Protect your hearing it's cheaper.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

I've worn the Lee sonics,now Norton, ear plugs that have a alluminum can,with a valve that shuts down loud sharp noise,otherwise provides normal hearing.I found a audiologist that took ear molds,sent them off(?) and they came back with the same type of valves as the Nortons,but the fit is so comfortable,I can wear them all day.I wear them shooting my 243AI with Vais Muzzle brake,in complete comfort,in the open.Muffs are OK in colder temperatures,and may be required shooting under a roof.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

If you are a shooter you have some hearing loss. Do yourself a favor and buy some electronic ear protection. Lots of styles and price ranges available. It's great to have your normal hearing enhanced, yet be well protected from anything loud.
Get your kids started right too, require them to protect their ears.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks for the input thus far, fellas. To clarify a couple of points, I always wear hearing protection when shooting at the range or the prairie dog patch. I wouldn't mind plugs that allow me to hear people talk and then shut out loud noises, but that's not a major priority either. Job one is to protect my hearing.
sniper 101

Post by sniper 101 »

what do you guys think of the surefire brand ear plugs? anyone use them?

http://www.surefire.com/EarProProducts
GDJMSP
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by GDJMSP »

These are what I have found to be the best when it comes to earplugs - Peltor Combat Arms Earplugs http://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=E15

Designed for and used by the US Military. And according to testing, the best out there - http://www.e-a-r.com/pdf/hearingcons/T0 ... 20v4.2.pdf
CountryDog
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Kevlar

Post by CountryDog »

GDJMSP wrote:These are what I have found to be the best when it comes to earplugs - Peltor Combat Arms Earplugs http://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=E15

Designed for and used by the US Military. And according to testing, the best out there - http://www.e-a-r.com/pdf/hearingcons/T0 ... 20v4.2.pdf

This is what I use too.