Cleaning a Cooper

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
jdefranc938
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper 21 Varminter .204 Ruger

Cleaning a Cooper

Post by jdefranc938 »

Hey guys,
I'm going to attempt to drive home this weekend and mount my scope and shoot my Cooper for the first time. I got the Lucas bore guide and the Dewey coated rod and the nylon bore brush. Once I pass the brush through the barrel, should I pass it back through the other way toward the chamber? Or should i unscrew it and reconnect it from the other end only? I don't want to mess up my crowning... Thanks!
Cooper M21 Varminter 204 Ruger with Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm LR VHR
Custom Remington 700 6.5 x 47L with Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 M1 TMR
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Cleaning a Cooper

Post by Rick in Oregon »

No worries, just be slow and careful, draw the brush back through the bore. Even the BR guys scrub both ways. Only a patch is a one-way trip through the bore. Just be sure to get the brush all the way through, and same at the chamber end. Never ever reverse a brush mid-stroke (but you already knew that....)

Most crowns (including my Cooper) have a slight break at the junction of lands/crown to facilitate brush re-entry. I have my custom crowns cut at 11*, with a 60* bevel at the lands just for the brush....works well.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

jdefranc938
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper 21 Varminter .204 Ruger

Post by jdefranc938 »

Thanks Rick! I can always count on u and the other guru's for guidance! The last thing I wanted to do was break my first, brand new, Cooper.
Cooper M21 Varminter 204 Ruger with Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm LR VHR
Custom Remington 700 6.5 x 47L with Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 M1 TMR
cracker

Post by cracker »

I thought coppers cleaned themselfs
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
Quoddy
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Montana Varminter

Post by Quoddy »

I'm just reaching the end of my 20 shot Cooper barrel break in. I received instructions from two guys that have 30 Coopers between them. I use a David Wicks jag made by Larry Allred at LAPA on a Pro-Shot one piece SS rod, through a Sinclair/EJS type bore guide (mine's a Possum Hollow). I spiral two passes of patches, with 3 drops Shooter's Choice on them, down the barrel followed by two dry patches. Then I use about a dozen stokes or so with a bronze brush, followed by the patch regimen again until clean and dry. I run a bore mop into the chamber to make sure that no liquid remains after removing the bore guide.

Photo in my Sinclair Varmint Rifle Cleaning Cradle:

Cooper Montana Varminter (.204 Ruger) with Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 (Ballistic Turret/Plex reticule)
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Nice looking rig you have there. How do you like that ballistic turret? I have a couple of scopes like that but mine have hold over reticles, both are on 204's.
Quoddy
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Montana Varminter

Post by Quoddy »

Jim White wrote:Nice looking rig you have there. How do you like that ballistic turret? I have a couple of scopes like that but mine have hold over reticles, both are on 204's.
I've just finished sighting it in at 100 yards in my backyard. I've yet to try it at longer distances and am looking forward to going to the range to see just how good the ballistics are for the 200, 300, and 400 yard settings I have on the turret right now.
Cooper Montana Varminter (.204 Ruger) with Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 (Ballistic Turret/Plex reticule)
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

I'll be looking FWD to hear about it. Those sure are some pretty clear scopes, aren't they?