In need of a .204

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Fabian
.204 Ruger Guns: none

In need of a .204

Post by Fabian »

I'm in the market for a .204 and was told to stay away from the ''Rems'' and buy a Howa instead. I'm a diehard Remington guy so to hear somebody say that kinda surprised me. Any advise on what to buy? Rem, Savage, H&R? Open to suggestions... Thanks.
jdefranc938
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper 21 Varminter .204 Ruger

Re: In need of a .204

Post by jdefranc938 »

What's ur price range?
Cooper M21 Varminter 204 Ruger with Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm LR VHR
Custom Remington 700 6.5 x 47L with Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 M1 TMR
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

In any brand, some will fall thru the cracks and be stinkers, Remington seems to generate more complaints than other brands, here, at least, but if I liked Remingtons better, I wouldn't be afraid to buy one. I just don't like the typical short bolt handle on them, and prefer the longer bolt handles of some other brands.
I like the way CZs handle, along with the Howas you mentioned, and Ruger puts out some good-handling rifles, too. I have a Savage heavy barrelled rifle that I like a lot.

You didn't mention whether you wanted a heavy-barrelled rifle or a sporter, that might help us help you in picking out a rifle. :D
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Fabian

Post by Fabian »

I don't really want to spend much more than 7 on the gun. I know the firearm is only half of the equation the other is the optic. Ideally I would like to have a decent coyote gun for under a grand. Also I know what you mean about the short bolt. I noticed that when I was looking at them in person the other day.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

You have a PM

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Fabian

Post by Fabian »

Sorry, new to this site, what do u mean by " I have a PM"? I am leaning towards the Howa 1500 series, they seem pretty affordable and appear to be a quality firearm. I'm just a little hesitant considering I've never shot a Howa in any caliber and never heard of them until a couple months ago.
Song Dog

Post by Song Dog »

Fabian wrote:Sorry, new to this site, what do u mean by " I have a PM"? I am leaning towards the Howa 1500 series, they seem pretty affordable and appear to be a quality firearm. I'm just a little hesitant considering I've never shot a Howa in any caliber and never heard of them until a couple months ago.
Under the 204 logo in the upper lefthand corner.

Logout [ Song Dog ] 0 new messages

Click on new messages.

In Christ,

Song Dog
Fabian

Post by Fabian »

Song dog check your Email.
Song Dog

Post by Song Dog »

Nothing there.

songdog@lemarrgamecalls.com

***Nevermind it went to my junk mail-FOUND IT :D

In Christ,

Song Dog
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

I'm very happy with my Remington! She has been a very accurate rifle, but I know that some people have had issues with remingtons. Mine is a heavy stainless steel barrel and that my be a reason she is accurate and easy to keep clean. Gary
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Fabian wrote:Sorry, new to this site, what do u mean by " I have a PM"? I am leaning towards the Howa 1500 series, they seem pretty affordable and appear to be a quality firearm. I'm just a little hesitant considering I've never shot a Howa in any caliber and never heard of them until a couple months ago.
Nothing wrong with Howas, they usually have excellent barrels and the actions are good enough for Nosler to copy for their premium rifles. Weatherby has used them for their Vanguard series for years, too. You may wish to replace the trigger in one if you buy it, as the triggers are the weakest point on an otherwise outstanding rifle. Timney makes an excellent replacement trigger for about $125, or less, if you shop around.
I've owned four Howas over the years, no complaints except the triggers......Nice rifles.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I have 3 Remingtons and they all have mediocre accuracy. I would look at Savage, Howa and Tikka (if you can find one in 204), they are all good in the accuracy department. I have 2 Savages and very happy with them. I have had several customers stating that their Howas and Tikkas are tack drivers.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Post by kenbrofox »

My 3 Remingtons are fine, all i changed was the barrels, stocks and triggers.Ken. :wink:
' Pay it forward buddy '
Fabian

Post by Fabian »

nice rem captqc! That a 700?
medic889
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500

Post by medic889 »

I love my Howa 1500. Action is smooth and accuracy is better than me. Came with a decent scope that worked until I could retop it. Great accuracy for a skinny barrel and just enough weight that it doesn't float around but is a pleasure to carry over hill and dale.