glass bed and free floating barrel?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
jdefranc938
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper 21 Varminter .204 Ruger

glass bed and free floating barrel?

Post by jdefranc938 »

Hey guys,
I have the Ruger M77 MKII Target in 204 and I'm throwin around the idea of getting it glass bedded and then having the barrel free floating. Any input/experiences (good or bad) will be much appreciated. If I get this done, how much of a change can I expect in precision?
Cooper M21 Varminter 204 Ruger with Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm LR VHR
Custom Remington 700 6.5 x 47L with Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 M1 TMR
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Re: glass bed and free floating barrel?

Post by Jim White »

Not knowing how it currently performs, it's hard to say. Generally speaking, glass bedding, free floating and crowning improves the accuracy as long as its done correctly.

HTH,
savage12fv

Post by savage12fv »

I think that model already has a free floating barrel .the glass bedding will just keep the action from shifting but is a verry good idea most rifles shoot better after glass some dont change but it locks the action in place. my savage came pillar bedded but i still skim beddid it with glass just to keep the action from shifting. if you notice your point of impact changing from time to time you need to get it bedded. Some rifles will shoot better with the barrel touching my remmy 700 243 shoots better with a pressure point at the end of the stock its a sporter barrel tho. you can test this by slidding a small piece of plastic between the barrel and stock and shoot some groups. If it shoots better your rifle likes a pressure point then when the bedding job is being done the gunsmith can put glass in place of the plastic for your pressure point.
The future starts with you.
Take a kid Hunting&Fishing.
volquartsen1
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 ruger custom thumb hole stock-nikon monarch 5.5x16.6x44

Post by volquartsen1 »

that is what I have done on my gun an I have the ruger i had a new stock made for it an it shoots really nice-- ----
ultralightshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger m77 markII ultralight

Post by ultralightshooter »

volquartsen1, What ruger do you shoot?