stockys gunstocks

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
doobie
.204 Ruger Guns: none

stockys gunstocks

Post by doobie »

has anyone tried one of their laminated stocks ?
supposedly you take out the pillars in the stock from savage and they insert ( epoxyed in ) into stockys with the end result is a free floated and pillar bedded .
they are good looking stocks and this will probably be the way i go .
so if any of you have any experiance with these laminated stocks please enlighten me . ( are they a drop in or is there alot of extra work ? )
thanks , dan
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Re: stockys gunstocks

Post by Lenard »

Your might check out Boyds gunstocks as they have what looks to be the same stocks, but much better prices. I have one on a 204 and it is well finished with good inletting.
doobie

Post by doobie »

thanks lenard , i went over to their site and looked up the thumbhole varminter and if i read it right they are only making it for the older and long actions . i'll be sure to go through their site again later this week . thanks for your tip , dan
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Before you buy check out http://www.sharpshootersupply.com they have Savage pillar bedded stocks ready to go that are the best I have ever worked with. They come finished sanded and just need a coat of finish. You can shoot them as they come, or skim bed them with your favorite bedding compound. Holes are already perfectly aligned for your action spacing. You can send them your barreled action for skim bedding and installation. I'm waiting for a new varminter stock to arrive. Like all laminate stocks they tend to be a bit heavy, but that is the idea for a long range precision mouse gun.
doobie

Post by doobie »

just out of curiosity i called stockys and asked them who manufactured the laminate stocks on their home page . the nice young lady told me that it was s&k stock co. , recently aquired by remington arms .
i told her i was having a hard time finding feed back on these . she said its one of their top sellers and she hasn't heard of any problems ( if i own a co. and have a service dept . , i want her to work for me . very convincing person . :lol: )
just thought you would like to know . dan
Wiiings12
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Stainless

Post by Wiiings12 »

I bought a stock from Stocky's last year, and for me the stock is great. By no means did it fit perfectly or drop in. I had to do LOTS of extra sanding and trimming, and ultimately re-finish the whole stock. The stock got in the way of the trigger assembly, and I had to trim a lot of it away just to get the rifle to sit in the stock. Then, after all that the stock wouldn't let the bolt close all the way. So I had to do even more 'customizing'. It was a lot of work, but in all honesty I am extremely pleased. It was a great learning experience and I think my rifle shoots much better now! I would only buy one if you are good with a dremel and finishing woodwork. Or if there is some type of return policy. I have not ever seen any negative feedback for stocky's however, so I am a little inclined to believe that I just got a fluke. But who knows! It all worked out. :D
Assault is a behavior, not a device.
m239

Post by m239 »

I have a Boyds Varmint Thumbhole (on a HB Howa 308)- very happy with it.

Really was a drop-in part.