Accutrigger help

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Ruger No. 1
.204 Ruger Guns: XR-100 Ruger No. 1 Savage 16

Accutrigger help

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

I just got a LRPV with the 6 oz accutrigger, I started adjusting in and its probly around 8 oz right now, but Im a bit confused. I know if a trigger gets to light and is jerked it will go off. and thats kind of what this gun is doing. but i thought I read somewhere that the accutrigger will stop itself from fireing if it is jarred..like a second safety. am I wrong? I dont have any ammo to test it so I want to make sure it wont slam fire
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Accutrigger help

Post by acloco »

It will fire.

I use the drop the butt of the rifle on concrete, starting at 6", and increasing until I get a trigger that will not fire until I reach 3+ feet. Might sound odd, but would rather be safe.

Did you clean the accutrigger first?
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

On the other hand, when I adjusted the Accu-trigger too low on either of my Savage Precision Target Actions, they would just "snap" and the firing pin did not fall, the gun did not go off. So, I'd remove the stock, crank them a turn and everything would work normally. I don't use that tool, just grab the adjustment spring with my thumb and finger and twist it a tad. It seems that the trigger never set up properly as the bolt was closed, but I doubt it would have fired if dropped. Maybe when it is set light, but heavy enough to set up, it would fire if dropped. Also, they won't fire if the bolt isn't completely closed, or in several instances where the cartridges had a high primer and offered a bit of resistence in closing. Again, they just "click" and nothing happens.
Ruger No. 1
.204 Ruger Guns: XR-100 Ruger No. 1 Savage 16

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

how bad is it on the accutrigger to be dry fired i hate dry fireing it when messing with the trigger
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Nothng on the trigger itself. It is just holding the spring tension on the firing pin....just like a Rem/etc...
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Post by giterdone »

IMHO.....Holding the trigger back while EASING the bolt closed allows the firing pin and spring to be released gently. Works for me on both my 12's.
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters