False Blue reading on patches

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

False Blue reading on patches

Post by giterdone »

"PROOF-POSITIVE" jags and brushes are here!!! http://www.boretech.com/products/borest ... roof.shtml ......no more false readings on the patch. Just as soft and safe as brass. I have been waiting and complaining about this for years. Talked to PRO-SHOT a year ago and NADA. BORE-TECH ....is the leader. :D
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Re: False Blue reading on patches

Post by Silverfox »

giterdone--EXCELLENT NEWS!!! I have purchased and used some of the nickel plated jags some other company makes, but the plating wears off fairly quickly and exposes the normal metal found in jags and you get the false readings again.

I wonder if that brush they have next to the jag has a core made of this same no-false report metal???

Thanks for the find.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Post by giterdone »

Silverfox....It sure does, and next year Bore-Tech's "Bore Stix" cleaning rods will have their brass ferrule replaced with the same material; a metal alloy that has no brass/copper in it. Same stuff they uses on the new jag's and brush cores. Tell all your friends, just think of the time and solvent that will be saved by not getting a false reading on the patches.
One other note.....Those nickel plated jags are HARDER than the stainless steel used in barrels so pitch-em, they can scratch the bore if they come into contact with it.
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
Silverfox

Bore-Tech Exorbitant S&H Charges

Post by Silverfox »

Well, I just had to have a 3-pack of the .17 caliber brushes, a 3-pack of the .20 caliber brushes, 2 of the .17 caliber jags, and 2 of the .20 caliber jags in the new "PROOF POSITIVE" line. Here's the total at the bottom of the invoice: :eek:

Subtotal: $35.40
UPS Ground: $13.15
Total: $48.55

Yes, I did go ahead and place the order, but HOLY COW--The $13.15 UPS Ground and Handling charge is 37.15% of my subtotal. These Bore-Tech folks can surely ship that itty bitty package via UPS Ground for well under $5.00, including the very small bubble pack. While I don't begrudge them a little money for carrying those hefty jags and brushes and stuffing them in that envelope--COME-ON--$8.15 sounds a little bit overboard for that. I ordered from them one time before a number of years ago and I recall they stuck it to me on S&H that time too. Old too soon and smart too late!! :mad:

OK, I've got my flame suit on, so tell me why $13.15 isn't HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!!
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
MT204
.204 Ruger Guns: custom ar15

Post by MT204 »

I would have to agree about the price of shipping, but it's not the company's fault.
I own a business and we hear it all the time, some people get down right ugly/nasty when we tell them the shipping cost!
I did a quick check on UPS shipping from PA. 18969 to Fargo, ND (not sure of your exact town) and it came up $10.13 NOT including the daily pickup charge or any fuel surcharges they may add.
Sad but true we should be calling and complaining to the shipping company's!
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

I tried UPS ONCE. Never again. Their shipping was higher for residential than it was for commercial addresses.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Silverfox wrote:......so tell me why $13.15 isn't HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!!
You gotta' "pay to play"... Chances are the price you are paying for each item is considerably cheaper than if it was on the shelf in a local gun shop in ND, and if the internet dealer is out of state, you don't pay sales tax on the items like you would if you bought the more expensive items in your home state.

When you consider those issues, you still might be saving money in the long run.... At least it narrows and possible negates the difference between what you pay at home and what it costs to buy the same items some place else.

The dealer doesn't set the shipping rates. He shouldn't be expected to take a loss to ship something to a customer.

JMO - BCB
Silverfox

Post by Silverfox »

BCB--I realize the seller doesn't set the shipping rates, but they sure set the "handling charge" plenty high in this situation. Since they are probably the only outfit selling thes brushes and jags, I guess they can do what they want. If you don't like their tune, ya don't have to dance! :wink:
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Silverfox wrote:BCB--I realize the seller doesn't set the shipping rates, but they sure set the "handling charge" plenty high in this situation. Since they are probably the only outfit selling thes brushes and jags, I guess they can do what they want. If you don't like their tune, ya don't have to dance! :wink:
If the shipping alone is ~$10 as quoted above without any surcharges, and the total is $13.15 shipping and handling, no one is getting rich at your expense by boxing up the items you bought. The next time you mail a package, see how long it takes you to box up whatever it is and get it ready for shipment. And the last packing tape I used I had to buy. No one gave it to me. In addition, time is money for a business....

I think the phrases, "You gotta' pay to play" and "If you don't like their tune, ya don't have to dance!" are saying about the same thing... The guy selling the jags doesn't owe you anything. It's the other way around... And he does deserve to make a profit on the deal so he can stay in business for the next time you feel you deserve a "real special just for me deal" on something else he sells..

Again....buy the same things at your local gun shop - if he can get them for you - and see what the tab is after paying his small volume mark-up and sales tax... Or buy a lathe and the materials and make your own. Then shipping costs will seem really cheap...

Again, JMO -BCB
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Gotta say I used a bunch of those proof positive jags and brushes, they work fine. I use them on a stainless steel rod to get away from the brass ferrule. Those new rods sound good.

As for the cost of shipping, it's still cheaper than me firing up the truck and spending a hour driving down to the gun shop to find they don't have exactly what I need, but they can order it for me, requiring another round trip when it comes in. That's why I buy enough of it to last a year. The internet is really cool, I can get most everything I want without hassle. For example, I just received 500 of those new Nosler 35 grain Lead Free Varmint Bullets in .224" for testing, so now I'm off to the range.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

13.15 is way too much to pay for S and H. I just ordered from natchez, 1000 38 bullets and some other stuff, on the internet. wght was just over 30 lbs. checked the shipping and handling on their site, and ups shipping was 23.00. i called natchez and talked to a salesman, told him what i was ordering and the weight, and also suggested to him that the order would fit in a USPS priority mail box. so he checked, and sure enough, he is shipping the order to me for 13.95 S and H thru the post office. IMHO, the company you ordered from should have put the order in an envelope, or shipped thru USPS priority mail envelope for a lot less freight than you had to pay.
i have been in business myself and understand the time involved in packing and shipping the product sold and shipped to someone across the US, and i understand a business is in business to make a profit. i do believe if you had talked to someone on the phone where your purchase was made, other shipping methods would have been considered and used.
I, myself, had to learn this lesson the hard way. I like using the internet too for ordering most of the time, but sometimes you can save a lot of money talking to a salesman on the phone.
We are all trying to get by, including businesses, as best we can!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

futuretrades wrote:13.15 is way too much to pay for S and H. I just ordered from natchez, 1000 38 bullets and some other stuff, on the internet. wght was just over 30 lbs. checked the shipping and handling on their site, and ups shipping was 23.00. i called natchez and talked to a salesman, told him what i was ordering and the weight, and also suggested to him that the order would fit in a USPS priority mail box. so he checked, and sure enough, he is shipping the order to me for 13.95 S and H thru the post office. IMHO, the company you ordered from should have put the order in an envelope, or shipped thru USPS priority mail envelope for a lot less freight than you had to pay.
i have been in business myself and understand the time involved in packing and shipping the product sold and shipped to someone across the US, and i understand a business is in business to make a profit. i do believe if you had talked to someone on the phone where your purchase was made, other shipping methods would have been considered and used.
I, myself, had to learn this lesson the hard way. I like using the internet too for ordering most of the time, but sometimes you can save a lot of money talking to a salesman on the phone.
We are all trying to get by, including businesses, as best we can!
I agree. For me the shipping costs for the flat rate boxes is $9.85 if I use the on line label printing. There's at least 3 maybe 4 different sizes of these boxes and you can cram up to 70 lbs in them before the rates increase. I use them all the time. Besides that the boxes are free. I try to keep the costs of shipping down not inflate it. Don't kid yourselves. Some of these merchants are making a killing on shipping.