Savage Muzzle Damage

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Savage Muzzle Damage

Post by giterdone »

Recently "aorelup" and "cover dog" both reported that they had muzzle damage to their 12BGTVS Savage rifles. I have two Savage 12 rifles (VLP and LRPV) and both have stainless steel barrels. On both rifles the muzzle appears to have been "dinged" at the factory either making contact with the floor or by being placed upside down in a rack. The good news is that the rifling itself was not damaged, although I would prefer a 60 degree bevel at the rifling, Savage does not do this. I believe it would give some protection to the rifling in addition to the recessed stepped crown. But like I said, I was very dissapointed at the lack of protection the muzzle end of these rifles received. Bouncing a new rifle on its muzzle is not a good way to get repeat customers. Savage are you listening? :wall:
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Savage Muzzle Damage

Post by Rick in Oregon »

In the Savage factory, after the barrels are straightened from the machining process by hand (they have one man who is the "barrel straightener"), all the barrels are then stood up in a rack muzzle down. Some makers use flat racks, not Savage......
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Obvious case of industrial espionage. Remington has infiltrated the Savage plant and turned the barrel rack to an up position in an attempt to allow big green to catch up. I will e-mail this info to Ron Coburn immediately and expect the barrel rack to be adjusted.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

sav*age adj. Not civilized; primitive. :eek: That about says it all! :lol:
But on a serious note, as a Quality Assurance Manager by profession I know that all manufacturing has variations. One key to good quality is to control those variations, another is to eliminate the kind of issues stated in the other posts such as the design of the crown, the fixtures used and of course the human factor. We all know that Savage makes accurate rifles "out of the box" but so does Remington. There is an old says that if you get something with bad quality you will tell a dozen people about it, if you get something with good quality you will tell 2 or 3 people about it. We all hope that when we spend our hard earned dollars that we will get something that works as it should and even instills a bit of pride of ownership.
Gary
Ruger No. 1
.204 Ruger Guns: XR-100 Ruger No. 1 Savage 16

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

Does anyone have a picture of this?