not 204 but I need help

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
cracker

not 204 but I need help

Post by cracker »

While I am not a rich man I am in need of another gun to fill a gap.
heres my present line up,
cz varminter in 204 ruger (that covers the small bore)

Mini 14 with a aftermarket barrel that shoots very well ( that covers the semi auto)

remington 700 in 243 winchester (just a little bigger then the first two listed)

an older 30-40 craig ( this was the father in laws gun)

remington 700 VTR in 308 winchester (this is my medium range gun)

then I have an inter arms 30-06 that does not shoot worth a beavers building. (this is going down the road and needs to be replaced) now my thinking is that the 308 is close to the 30-06 so if i sell the 06 I need something with a little more kill power. Since I am a firm believer in the 30 cal. I was thinking 300 win mag.
Lets hear what you think I am pretty set on the 300 win mag but I believe the mind is like a parachute and only works if it opens up. so lets hear what you are thinking I should get to fill the big bore gap.
thanks to all who responde
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: not 204 but I need help

Post by Hotshot »

I used 300 wthby mag for decades as my long range rifle. Sako action with Krieger barrel would shoot as good as my varmint rifles and took some long range game. 300 ultra mag is the new rage out west and they can be awesome in the right hands.
You might have the 30 cal thing covered with your existing rifles, so maybe look at the 33 calibers too.
Be sure and get at least a 26 inch barrel for any magnum. No use to have all that powder in the case if there isn't enough barrel to burn it all.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

The 308 is a pretty good round but, IMO, when you need the power, the 06 wins hands down. As far as your 30-06 not shooting well, can it be fixed (tuned up, bedded, free-floated, new barrel etc.)?

I have a Ruger Model 77 (tang safety) that I got it in a trade several years ago and it's never been a favorite of mine, but, when I shot some Hornady Light Magnum ammo in it a few years back, it performed almost like a 300 Win Mag. I chronographed the 180 grain pill at 2890 FPS (avg 5-shots w/ 22" barrel) and it would shoot 1 MOA all day long. I'm getting ready to drop her off for a bedding and free float job that should improve that figure, hopefully.

Jim
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Is your inter arms a converted Swedish Mauser action? Pic of the receiver after the frontsite base is removed will confirm.

Don't leave 7mm Rem Mag either.

When picking a long range caliber, pick out three or four heavier bullets, then pick the vehicle (caliber) you wish to launch them from.

My 300 WM is very effective and accurate at long range with 180 gr Nosler BT's and 208 gr AMax. My 7mm Rem Mag is also a good shooter with 154 gr SST and 162 gr AMax's.

Of note, recoil is not really that bad, because you will be using slow burning powder such as H1000 or Retumbo.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

cracker: Give this some thought: How about a sweet custom Mark-X Mauser (claw extractor/controlled round feed), beautiful piece of black english walnut, 26" Shilen Select moly barrel chambered in .330 Dakota? It will launch a .338" bullet at 250grs right at 2,900 fps, or a 210gr at 3,100 fps. With the right optics, it is easily a 600 yard elk rifle in the right hands with plenty of punch at the terminal end. (The .330 Dakota was Don Allen's favorite caliber for world-wide hunting of all the calibers he brought to market. Don Allen was Dakota Arms when founded for those not familiar with the man.)

The rifle above is mine, on display at the Nosler Pro Shop. It comes with custom dies, Dakota brass, and Leupold 30mm low QR rings/mount, entire rifle is matte finish. PM if any interest.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

If it is an Interarms, most likely (@99.99%) it is one of the Mark X Yugoslav actions made by Zavodi Crvena Zastava. At roughly the same time Interarms was importing the Mark X, a company called Tradewinds, Inc. in Tacoma, Washington was importing the "Swedish Mauser" better know as a Husqvarna (Husqvarna Vapenfabriks Aktiebolag, or simply abbreviated HVA Mausers). They had "Sweden" stamped on the top of the receiver ring, but differed in several significant ways from the Mark X which is a true Model 98 Mauser derivative..

The HVA was similar to but not a true 98 design. For example, it did not have a large 98 style bolt stop, instead having a small rather flimsy bolt stop mechanism. And more significantly, it lacked the inside receiver collar found on the Model 98 breeching system. Anything else known as a "Swedish masuer" is most likely the older and not as good Model 1894 and Model 1896 actions.

Since you already have the 30-06 bolt face, why not just re-barrel it to 338-06? Mauser actions will shoot very well if squared up and bedded properly.

JMO - BCB
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

If you otherwise like the Interarms, but your main issue is that it is not shooting well, I would suggest taking a few basic steps to see if the accuracy problem is easily fixed.

Some of the most obvious would be, proper cleaning, checking headspace, and checking for muzzle crown abnormalities. With many used rifles, the muzzle crown has been dinged by improper cleaning procedures, jamming the muzzle against gravel, etc. It is very common, and easily fixed by a good gunsmith.

Many of the Interarms rifles were quite nice, with Mauser actions and good wood.
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Post by giterdone »

Cracker...What animal is the NEW caliber going to be used for? I know you live in southern Wisconsin and they are talking about opening up elk hunting for those lucky enough to draw a tag (if they have a lottery). If thats what you want the new caliber for remember, this is not long range shooting but thick timber and heavy cover in that (northern) part of the state. If you are planning a hunt out West then the choices of caliber are many. I shoot a .300 Win Mag for open country Elk and Deer out West, but for in the "thick black timber" I use a .45-70. Maybe its because I have shot elk with it and like its DRT performance. I have shot elk with the .300 Win Mag at 100yds. and had to give them another shot to finish them even though they were pounded with a 190gr. bullet they still managed to stand. They can take a lot of lead. I also have used a .340 Weatherby 250gr. Swift A Frame on elk (traveled 80 yds.) and the .45-70 still is my choice for 100yd. and under shooting with 350-400gr. Handloads. :twocents:
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
Ruger No. 1
.204 Ruger Guns: XR-100 Ruger No. 1 Savage 16

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

338 win mag is pretty popular and plenty of power. :D
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

My suggestion would be to keep the Mauser. The Interarms Mark X action is among the best of the commercial Mauser actions. I have two that were made into custom rifles, and they shoot under 1 MOA. A rebarrel job by a good smith will solve most problems. Several barrel makers will be glad to true your action and open the bolt face to a magnum cartridge as well, if that's what you want. These include Krieger, Hart, Shilen and Pac-Nor Barreling. I also recommend Greg Tannel www.gretanrifles.com or Darrel Holland www.hollandguns.com as quality gunsmiths.

Here's one of my Mark X actions that was rebarreled into a .375 Epstein Magnum by Tom Miller at RCBS a few years back. Image

If you want more power than the .30-06, then I recommend either the .300 Winchester Magnum or the .300 WSM. Ammo and brass is available just about everywhere and less expensive than some.
cracker

Post by cracker »

Rick pm sent your way
Sportingly
cracker
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

The easy thing would be to buy Rick's 330 Dakota. Great value and you could take anything in n. america with it.
However if that doesn't fit the bill for some reason, I would give another vote for the 338-06. Big step up from the 308, but easy to find brass to neck up and uses a lot less powder than magnums.
I am biased though...just pick up my new 338-06 AI yesterday. Post coming soon.
Let us know what you do for sure. We all love to live vicariously through others purchases ;)
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
cracker

Post by cracker »

Well bullfrog you have some good advise. I actually decided to do just what you suggested and struck a deal with Rick. I am really looking forward to playing with the new toy, however I have a big problem and would like peoples impute (Rick I want you to chime in here) on what scope to put on this rifle. Now if you all remember how this post started (I am not a rich man) please keep that in mind with your suggestions
Sportingly
Cracker
RIO
Thanks again!
Sportingly
cracker
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Try a 2.5-8X vari XIII with B&C reticle, you'll never be sorry.

Hey, I wonder if Rick will give me a good deal on his canoe now that he got rid of the paddle?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I second the vote on the VX-3, 2.5-8X, that or the same model in 3.5-10X, which is what was on the rifle prior to being sold. Remember that recoil will be a factor for a scope, so no cheapie on that puppy, okay?

Don't know about a canoe, but there's this way cool bridge......... :lol:

Cracker: Hunt well, shoot straight. She's experienced in the woods, and feels right at home drawing a bead on large Alaskan moose....... she's been there, done that quite well, thank you. Congratulations, I hope you two have a long love affair together. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails