Remington VSF 204 Update

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
FireBallGuy
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger

Remington VSF 204 Update

Post by FireBallGuy »

Not sure if I let this be known had a problem with my new VSF in 204 a while back. Appears the trigger would not stay set at whatever weight it set it to.Also of concern was how terrible the gun shot with factory ammo. All I could get out of it was 1 1/2" or worse groups out of it at 100 yards tried 6 different types of factory ammo including big greens and the gun was terrible. Some handloads quickly resolved the accuracy issue. With benchmark and RL-10X the gun has several facvorite that go under half and inch.
The trigger issue was big so I sent it back for warranty service took 6 weeks and the gun came back yesterday and I got a big surprise when I opened the case. The bases had been removed the scope was loose in the case and much to my surprise the new trigger the gun was supplied with was MIA!?! In its place was a blued OLD XMark trigger....one of the nicest ones I have ever seen, breaks at just over 2 1/2 lbs but this is not right!! Sent them an email this morning to find out what gives. It was rather unclear why the optics package had been removed unless the barrel was taken off? Thats about all I can think would be the reason for that. Will check out thier response when I get home and if it is not favorable I am going to contact remington directly in the US and get this problem dealt with. Just thought I had to share this.
Remington Model 700 SPS 17 Remington Fireball Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40SF, Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO, Savage Model 12 FVSS .22-250 Remington Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Remington VSF 204 Update

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Every manufacturer clearly tells us to remove any optics and extra non-factory items prior to sending any weapon in for repair. You are fortunate it all came back. Don't complain too loudly, as they may ask you if you read the terms and conditions before you sent your rifle in to them. :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Most repair facilities, including Remington specifically tell you to remove all accessories from firearms returned for work so that the accessories will not be harmed or damaged. That's just standard practice....

I bet if you read the information on returns in the manual that came with the rifle or if you look at Remingtot's web site, they tell you that fact.

Here ya' go.... Under the "Support" tab on the web site....On all the different return forms listed:

WARNING: DO NOT SEND LIVE OR SPENT SHELLS IN YOUR FIREARM OR IN THE SAME BOX WITH THE FIREARM. THIS IS A VIOLATION OF FEDERAL LAW. IF YOU FEEL YOU MUST SEND SPENT SHELLS PLEASE SEND THEM IN A SEPARATE PACKAGE AND INCLUDE NAME, ADDRESS (WITH ZIP CODE), TELEPHONE AND MODEL AND SERIAL NUMBER OF YOUR FIREARM.

:: Record the serial number of your firearm before sending it.
:: Pack your firearm for safety and to prevent further damage in shipping and handling. Preferably, ship in a
firearm box. (Note: Original boxes may not be returned.)
:: Remove all accessories from your firearm to prevent loss or damage.
:: Ship your INSURED firearm by either UPS or Parcel Post. Remington is not responsible for damage or loss
during shipment, so you may elect to purchase insurance from your carrier.

(bolded and underlined by me)

Whoops....! Looks like we were posting at the same time, Rick...

And as Rick stated, be glad you got everything back....Remington is not responsible or liable for the accessories. You are... When all else fails, read the instructions...

-BCB
FireBallGuy

Post by FireBallGuy »

The gun was not sent to remington in the US, it ws sent to the canadian repair depot. In my eyes there is still no reason for the stuff to have been pulled to begin with....the problem was with the trigger.
Remington Model 700 SPS 17 Remington Fireball Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40SF, Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO, Savage Model 12 FVSS .22-250 Remington Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Post by dannybracy »

Just because you don't see why they need the optics taken off isn't going to bypass their rules and regulations to get warranty work done to repair your rifle. Their rules....we have to stick to them. I'm sure it helps reduce liability issues (of the very expensive optics none of use want dinged or scratched) and it simplifies the variables they need to go through to fix your 'trigger' problem. Just the way it is.......
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

FBG: I think you'll find even though you sent your rifle to an authorized repair facility there, the rules for removing optics remain the same. As Danny mentioned, nobody wants to be liable for YOUR optics during transit, repair and return. It has nothing at all to do with your trigger issue. Why would you even want to subject your own expensive optics to the gorillas that handle common freight?

Best to check their rules first prior to sending off a pet rifle into the unknown.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

FireBallGuy

Post by FireBallGuy »

My situation is a little different, I work at cabellas canada and I have our remington rep on speed dial on my cell phone. I sent my SPS there some time ago and that came back fully assembled and sighted exactly where I had left it. Perhaps we canadians do not have similar problems our american neighbors do with regards to this issue.
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

FireBallGuy wrote:My situation is a little different, I work at cabellas canada and I have our remington rep on speed dial on my cell phone. I sent my SPS there some time ago and that came back fully assembled and sighted exactly where I had left it. Perhaps we canadians do not have similar problems our american neighbors do with regards to this issue.
If it's really a problem, it sounds like you have it, too...

Even though I know a couple of folks at Remington... The only way I would send a good scope, etc. along with a rifle for repairs is if I positively knew who would be working on it ...

-BCB
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

The beauty of owning Savages. Never need to send them back. Theres nothing on an ugly clunky Sav that can't be fixed at home with a hammer and pry bar and the willingness to use em :lol:

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
FireBallGuy

Post by FireBallGuy »

True about the savages....although....I have had 2 of them that were ULTRA trouble one was a 204.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

FireBallGuy wrote:True about the savages....although....I have had 2 of them that were ULTRA trouble one was a 204.

Dang Buddy, You seem to be having some rotten luck in the firearms department. Hope things improve.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
FireBallGuy

Post by FireBallGuy »

You got that right! That is why I don't think off the shelf guns are going to cut it anymore. I have plans to purchase a tikka T3 Varmint in 204 as this company seems to be of the few who have thier act together. All of my customers RAVE about how well they shoot.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

FBG,

Most firearm repairs are accomplished by grabbing a new barreled action out of the bin and installing your bolt (with headspace checked) in your old stock and shipped back to you. Don't ever send accessories.

I have also had the same reports about Tikka rifles. Wouldn't hurt my feelings to have one or two in the rack.
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Tikkas are nothing but a Sako designed by a Sako cost accountant... They have a few Mylar ("plastic") pieces attached - such as the trigger guard- but they use the exact same barrel a Sako uses. And the Mylar is extremely tough, so its not a liability...

I own four Tikkas - two older Model 595's and two T-3's and they all shoot extremely well. Bolt cycling is extremely smooth. For a factory rifle, you get a lot with a Tikka.

JMO - BCB
FireBallGuy

Post by FireBallGuy »

I agree 100% man!!! As I said before as soon as the store gets one in 204.......IT IS MINE!!!