Hornady 45gr sp ?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
paddy 09
.204 Ruger Guns: remy 700 vls

Hornady 45gr sp ?

Post by paddy 09 »

Has anyone tried them in a 1/12 twist ?Was told they were shorter that the 40gr and so might work .Any info would be great .
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Re: Hornady 45gr sp ?

Post by surfclod »

I purchased a box and shot 3 just to be sure that they did not keyhole with my factory 1-12 twist barrel. The point of impact was also the same (as my 32 grain V-Max) out to 200 yards, I never tested further but assume that it drops quicker beyond that.

My factory tube also shot 39 grain SBK and 40 grain V-Max pretty good so I got lucky, I know others have not had their 1-12" twist work with them on the heavier bullets.

If your rifle shoots the 40's you will probably be okay.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

Both my Savage and my AR handle them pretty well... Nothing I would brag about in the realm of precision, but for a hunting round, I wouldn't have a problem using them on a Coyote or Bobcat...

While I've heard of some dropping deer with a .204, That's a little "iffy" from my perspective and if I were going to try, the 45gr would be my choice..Certainly accurate enough for that...
AR
Factory/Factory
paddy 09
.204 Ruger Guns: remy 700 vls

Post by paddy 09 »

OldTurtle wrote:Both my Savage and my AR handle them pretty well... Nothing I would brag about in the realm of precision, but for a hunting round, I wouldn't have a problem using them on a Coyote or Bobcat...

While I've heard of some dropping deer with a .204, That's a little "iffy" from my perspective and if I were going to try, the 45gr would be my choice..Certainly accurate enough for that...
Na, not for deer shooting ,bud!Would be a nice round for wild goat ,if they were to work in my remmy VLS. As i said ,they are ment to be shorter than the 40gr.