range finder?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

range finder?

Post by kenbrofox »

Hi, sorry, i'm alot late with this, but a few weeks ago people were asking about range finders and iwondered why nobody mentioned binos with built in range finders. Is that because they are no good? Also,does anyone know if remington market a model 7 in 204R. Thanks Kenbro. :doh:
' Pay it forward buddy '
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: range finder?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Ken, the only bino with built-in rangefinder worth a hoot is the Leica BRF, and it's quite expensive. The Leica Geovid is nice, but bulky and heavy. The others (all imports) I've looked at are not worth the bulk, and the optics and laser characteristics just don't cut it.

The only Model Seven in 204R offered this year (that I'm aware of) is the Predator, the camo job rifle w/22" barrel.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

My brother in laws Leica Geovids are more than good. They are big and they are heavy but they are far and away the best laser range finders I have ever used.
The cheapy ones are good at ranging distance depending on target size but they suck as binos.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator
mporter

Post by mporter »

Here's a review of Zeiss's 10 x 45 range finder binocular which compares it to the Geovid. It also comes in 8 power.

Here's a quote:
With rangefinders of otherwise similar quality, the unit with the tightest beam divergence will deal best with ground scatter. In the Zeiss Victory RF 10x45 Rangefinder Binocular this number measures 1.6 x 0.5 millirads, with the second number being the vertical component. The vertical component, in my own experience, will most often be the limiting factor in filtering our ground scatter problems in the field.

The beam divergence numbers on the Swarovski rangefinder are 2.5 x 2.5 and on the Leica Geovid they are 2.5 x 0.5. At 1.6 x 0.5, the Zeiss Victory RF 10x45 Rangefinder Binocular beam divergence numbers are the lowest I know of for a consumer level rangefinder.

http://longrangehunting.com/articles/Ze ... view-1.php
kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Post by kenbrofox »

Hi, thanks to all for the information on range finding bins, with a exellent link in there as well. Rick, i didn't phrase the question about the M7 very well. We can get the predator over here, but the barrel profile is different to the 20" BDL, and as i have 2 M7 BDLs already, a third one in 204R would let me use my moderator on all three. thanks, Ken.
' Pay it forward buddy '