New Ruger Hawkeye Predator.

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
GlennGTR1
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 all weather ultralight

New Ruger Hawkeye Predator.

Post by GlennGTR1 »

Just purchased a Ruger Hawkeye Predator in 223. This rifle has a one in nine twist. Whats the heaviest bullit weight that twist rate can handle? Picked up five hundred rounds of Hornady 55 grain soft points and 200 rounds of Fiochi 69 grain Match kings. I heard it can handle even longer and heavier bullits. Has anyone here used heavy 223 bullits for predator and varmint hunting? There is a 64 grain winchester soft point loading.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: New Ruger Hawkeye Predator.

Post by glenn asher »

It should handle everything up to 75 grains "okay", maybe it'll shoot 75s and maybe it won't ;) Some rifles will handle, for example, a Hornady 75 Match HP, and not the 75 A-Max, or maybe neither one, it's hard to say.

It should handle Winchester's 64 grain bullet just fine, it's relatively short and blunt, and should shoot well.

I hear rumors that some folks use 75 A-Maxes for deer and coyotes, with good results. I haven't done so myself, so I can't confirm that, but that's what I hear........... :mrgreen:
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!