Bad .204 ruger groups STILL

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Doc One Shot
.204 Ruger Guns: cz varmint

Bad .204 ruger groups STILL

Post by Doc One Shot »

Hi
I'm new here. I bought a CZ varmint with a HS Precision stock. I put a Leupold VXlll, loaded 32 gr vmax with 25 gr H335 ( if I remember right, I'm at work ) and got horrible groups. Out of a box of 50, I had 1 moa group. I was switching back and forth with my .223 and was shooting sub moa with that, so I don't thing it was me. I later checked the scope mounts and everything was tight. I'm going to try some factory ammo when the weather permits.
Any other thoughts / suggestions ?
Thanks
Doc
Last edited by Doc One Shot on Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bayou City Boy

Re: Bad .204 ruger groups

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Doc;

From what you wrote, I'm not sure what the problem might be. Maybe just tweeking some hand loads lengthwise and playing with the powder charge will help reduce the groups.

More importantly, however, since you're new here, its not fashionable to say that you have a CZ that doesn't shoot with a
$4K BR rifle "right out of the box". If you own a keyboard, CZ won't sell you an inaccurate rifle from what I've read on the Internet. :lol:

Good luck....

-BCB
Doc One Shot

Post by Doc One Shot »

Thanks. I was just trying to give a complete picture.
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

No problem on my part.... You're just being honest.

My point was that you see statements on the Internet like, "I've never heard of anyone complaining about the accuracy of a CZ "right out of the box" ". Your questions is a lot more honest and factual.

I hope you get it shooting to your likes. With a little tweeking on the rifle itself or with the ammo, just about all factory rifles will shoot decently well. Again, good luck.

-BCB
Doc One Shot

Post by Doc One Shot »

Thanks
I had the same problem with a Savage .308 last year. Tried everything, talked to everyone. I finally sent is back. They returned it with a new barrel, and it shoots great. I hope I don't have to go through all that again. I wanted to take this pd hunting in a month.
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Post by BabaOriley »

Sorry if this was assumed, but you never mentioned cleaning it. Did you shoot 50 right out of the box without cleaning it or doing any kind of break-in routine? I suppose it should start shooting better after 50, but going by past suggestions I've read here about stories like this, it sounds like you may have some copper built up, mainly in the throat. I've read many posts about 204's that wouldn't shoot until someone took it to someone who cleaned it correctly during/after break-in. That's why I upgraded all my cleaning equipment and techniques when I got mine. Mine does take longer to foul now that the barrel is seasoned.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Quite honestly, the load you used seems awfully mild and probably not very efficient, to boot. H-335, according to most of the posts here, is rarely mentioned as an accuracy powder in the .204, either, while it works well in .223.
I would suggest using different bullets, and faster powders, and get some variety in your loads, as only using one load (which the rifle may not like much) can't tell you much of anything.
H-322, Benchmark, H-4895, 10X, and others all get rave reviews with 32s, according to the majority of our posters here, anyway, and 748 does also, albeit with much heavier charges than 25 grains. By all means, check out the stickies listed above, and the "Favorite Loads" thread in the reloading section, something there will probably improve your results markedly.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Doc One Shot

Post by Doc One Shot »

I'm going to try some 4895 after I try some factory loads. I got the h335 data form this site under loads and Hodgon power. People here seem to like Remmington 7 1/2 br ( I think ). I have those and will try them. I figure I should be able to get decent groups with factory loads. If they work, I'l try different power. I hope to get out Wed if the wind isn't too bad
Thanks
Doc
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

Have you checked the crown to see if it may have a slight imperfection? You can use a magnifying glass and cotton swabs to feel if there are any burrs or nicks, and visually inspect it to see if it has been cut sharply. I doubt if CZ would let one out of the factory without inspecting it or testing it.

Did you buy it new, or used?
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

I had a problem with Leupold rings one time, but it was due to overtightening the screw, and should not be blamed on Leupold. The screw to tighten the rings to the Sako type dovetail on the receiver was overtorqued by the guy at the gun dealer who mounted the rings and scope. I was getting unsatisfactory groups and did not realize that the ring was loose, until my gunsmith picked it up.
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

BCB
I think this just so happens to be the first complaint I've heard about a CZ right out of the box :lol:
Had to happen sometime.

Doc
Be sure to pick up a box of 40gn ammo for your test also. Maybe you got one that likes 40's and not 32's.
Would'nt be the first.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

jo191145 wrote:BCB
I think this just so happens to be the first complaint I've heard about a CZ right out of the box :lol:
Had to happen sometime.

Doc
Be sure to pick up a box of 40gn ammo for your test also. Maybe you got one that likes 40's and not 32's.
Would'nt be the first.
Its not my first one... I even owned one once that was sitting in the stock crooked.... There was no hope for it other than it cured me of Internet buying "sight unseen". In fairness, I have a couple of others that shoot just fine. But I'm not a big fan of detachable magazines, especially when they hang in the rifle's pivot point for carrying. Beyond that they are just another factory rifle...some good and some not so good.

I've also received several e-mails in the past few years where someone was, I guess, afraid to say on a forum that they had a CZ that wouldn't shoot. Asking me what I thought they should do... Some forums don't like controversy such as a dissenting voice about an item that is most popular among the regulars. :eek: I guess that leads to insecurity on the part of some folks... :lol:

-BCB
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

CZs aren't perfect, mine had roughly the same malady as BCB's, but some Acraglas cured it's off-center barrel pretty well, the mortise for the recoil lug was cut off-kilter. I mentioned that early on, wrote it up here, too. Just like any other brand, of course. QC seems a bit better on some brands than others, and CZ's seems a bit better, which probably is why they get fewer complaints here.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

glenn asher wrote:CZs aren't perfect, mine had roughly the same malady as BCB's, but some Acraglas cured it's off-center barrel pretty well, the mortise for the recoil lug was cut off-kilter. I mentioned that early on, wrote it up here, too. Just like any other brand, of course. QC seems a bit better on some brands than others, and CZ's seems a bit better, which probably is why they get fewer complaints here.
Acraglass was not a cure for mine.

The entire stock was inletted crooked. The screw holes did not line up with the barrel channel, and neither did the action... in the stock.

A trip to CZ cured the problem but then the rifle went down the road later on...

Maybe so, glenn.... But on some forums folks get hate mail for bashing one brand and a ticker tape parade for bashing another...

-BCB
Doc One Shot

Post by Doc One Shot »

If the 32's don't work, I'll try a box of 40's.
I'm not dissin CZ. As I said, I had a Savage that needed a new barrel. I still really like them. If this one doesn't work, I'll send it back. " stuff happens "
Doc