Slow Fire

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Slow Fire

Post by Lenard »

I experience a slow fire about every 50 rounds with the newer model 700 in 204. I did a search but could not find out anthing about the J lock setup on the bolts. Can anyone fill me in as to how to cure this problem?

Thanks, Lenard
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Slow Fire

Post by Hotshot »

Trade it off for a Savage!
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Lenard,
Could you educate me as to what a slow fire is? I've got a remingtom 700 in .204 and shot hundereds of rounds with out any trouble. Always happy to learn new things.
Gary
Lenard

Post by Lenard »

I sure can. I pull the trigger and there is a delay before ignition. I can detect there is easily and generally the bullet will not hit within a foot of the aiming point, but that is me likely moving. It is like the firing pin gets hung up and then releases. It happened with the original trigger and the aftermarket one I have on it now. It just does not sound like a bad primer as I have experienced a few of them over decades of shooting.

Hotshot, you are probably right, I should have bought a Savage.
darchell
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varmint VLP

Post by darchell »

The problem does not sound like the trigger. The problem sounds like the bolt, firing pin assembly. It sounds like the delay is the firing pin working loose in the bolt. A reccomendation would be, IMHO, to take the bolt apart and clean it along with the firing pin. Then oil very lightly. Very lightly being the key. If the gun is new I would doubt it is a weak spring but you never know. More than likely it is dirty. If it has never been apart it could still have factory grease inside. Although it shouldn't there is only one way to find out, take it apart. A 700 bolt comes apart easily with the use of a dime. I know of a past experience, many years ago when WD-40 was considered good, and a Remington 700 failed to fire in a hunting situation. After taking the gun apart and not finding the problem the bolt assembly was taken down. It was found that the assembly was gummed up from the WD-40 and in the cold weather got worse. In short take the bolt apart and check there first.
Lenard

Post by Lenard »

I have taken it apart and cleaned it. Then lightly re-oiled it. This problem happened early on and I just never said anything about it. I am sure there is a logical reason, which should help find a cure.

Thanks

Lenard
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Lenard,

Has this problem always been with the same batch of primers? Are you getting a good dent in the primer from your firing pin? I recall hearing of a hang-fire problem on contaminated primers. Seems like the problem was worse for rifles that had a light primer strike. Every area in the country has a Remington field rep. When I shot registered trap and skeet they used to show up and help people with mechanical problems on their Remington products. Try to get in touch with your area rep. Maybe it's an easy fix.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Lenard: If you've ever taken the Remington M700 firing pin assembly out on any of their recent rifles, you'll see an engineering disaster. Take yours apart, put the entire thing in a drawer for a gun show sale, then install an ideally designed and perfectly executed machined assembly from Darrell Holland of Hollands Custom Rifles.

http://www.hollandguns.com/index.html

One look at Darrell's unit, and you'll wonder what the clowns at Remington were thinking, and also wonder at how you got any consistent ignition at all. Worth the price of admission for any M700, better lock time to boot.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Lenard

Post by Lenard »

Hotshot

I am getting good contact with the primers as it is anything but light strikes. I have had the same thing happen with Rem. BR primers and Federals. Of course, this gun was purchased in November of '08, so it is one of the newer ones.

Rick, I suspected it had to be in the bolt. Tell me more if you are inclined.

Lenard
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Lenard:

Like Rick mentioned, replace the firing pin mechanism with one from Holland or there are several others that you can purchase relatively cheaply at places like Midway, etc. All of them work better than what you have.

The J-Lock was a lawyer designed device that 700 shooters have had to deal with. Most have caused no problems, but like any mass produced device, J-Locks are not all created equal... It sounds like you got a bad one...

Fortunately, Remington got way from the J-Lock a couple of years ago, but there are still new rifles in inventory in some place that have the J-Lock firing pin mechanism.

-BCB
Varmintcaller
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 15001vosv

Post by Varmintcaller »

Lenard
I have a 700 with the J lock and have (had) the same problems you have.Mine wouldnt hit within a foot of the target either, so its not your fault. About every fifth shot I would have to beat the bolt open or closed with the palm of my hand on very mild loads. Also only one of the lugs was actually making contact, you could see the shiny wear marks, the other lug was still black. Mine is a 300 RSAUM.
I just put mine in the back of the gun safe, and spent the money it costs to fix it on a Howa 1500 in 300 Win Mag. Sorry to hear that you have the same problem I did.If you ever get yours fixed, please post the solution or PM me and ill give it a try on mine...thanx
Lenard

Post by Lenard »

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Kind of funny really, at least on my part. Cause I will tell my story to anyone who wants to know and hold nothing back. Remington kind of reminds me of the way Tasco used to do quality control. Just send out the scopes and if they don't work, send them back for a new one. We'll get it right sooner or later was their motto.

Lenard