Custom machining can be expensive.

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Custom machining can be expensive.

Post by BabaOriley »

I wanted to have a QD sling that attached to the side of the forearm tube on my A-15, not underneath, or to the bipod's stud. I ordered some rail sections, (2) 1.5" long for the sides, and (1) 4" for the underside, at a total cost of $75 shipped. I figured I could screw them all on towards the front edge of the tube. When they arrived I found their mating surface was flat. If I just drilled clearance holes in the tube, the flat to round mating surfaces would create wobble over time, and get loose. I took the tube off and brought it to a machine shop 30 miles away to have them mill flats where the rails would sit. I figured that should take a guy about 10 minutes on a Bridgeport, so didn't ask about how much it would cost (dumb on my part). They called this week to tell me they're done and when I go to pick them up, the guy wanted $150. !!?? He could tell by the look on my face I thought this was robbery, and said it took his machinist 2 hours to do the machining. I told him if that's what it costs, then so be it. I could have asked beforehand. Needless to say he won't be getting any more work from me in the near future. The machinist didn't even mount the rails exactly like I showed him when we discussed it. Not worth getting upset over. One of those times you wonder if the guy got one over on you, or you're just really cheap (or really that broke to worry about it). Seriously though, $225 to add 3 picatinny rails on a rifle stock? Many whole guns can be bought for less! I'll find an alternative next time.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Custom machining can be expensive.

Post by acloco »

It took them 10 minutes....don't let them BS you. You ran into an incompetent machinist and a dishonest one at that.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

WOW.. You sure took a beating!! I hope you can sit without pain. I know a place that would have done it for nothing but shipping costs :wink: .
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

rpknaz
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger KM77VT MKII with Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40

Post by rpknaz »

Hawkeye Joe wrote: I hope you can sit without pain.

Sounds like you got hosed, bummer. Time to send in the boys. :club: :club: :club:

Hawkeye - That was funny. :lmao:
Peace and love will get you killed. Unarmed helplessness is a welcome mat for evil. Self-defense is the most powerful, driving instinct in good people everywhere. To deny it is evil personified. Ted Nugent.