Ruger 77 Hawkeye

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
jlnolly
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 12

Ruger 77 Hawkeye

Post by jlnolly »

Hello just wondering if anybody had the opportunity to shoot the 77 hawkeye ruger in 204? Icurrently have the savage model 12 its a little to heavy to lug around all day. I sure would like a lighter firearm.How does the ruger shoot THX. John
jlnolly
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 12

Re: Ruger 77 Hawkeye

Post by jlnolly »

Ialmost forgot im Left Handed
rc2125
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger MKII Hawkeye

Post by rc2125 »

I had one last month, stainless/syn, right handed though. It shot around an inch outa the box. Added a hogue aluminum bed stock, modified the trigger spring and it then shot groups no bigger than 3/4" @ 100 off a bipod. Decided to go the semi-auto route and traded it in a few days after I had it. The trigger was remakable for a factory Ruger trigger! They still had it on the wall as of a couple days ago.
204Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77II Ultralight

Post by 204Shooter »

rc2125:
What semi-auto did you end up going with?
Marriage is the only sport where the trapped animal has to buy the license! ... Just kiddin honey! :hail:
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

I am curious about this rifle also, because, I too am lefthanded.

One question I have is, is this a true super short action? Some of the manufacturers of rifles for the .223 and .204 use a longer action with a block in it, rather than using a true super short action. Savage and the Tikka T3 are two examples that do this. It works, but seems a bit cheesy to me. Remington, I believe, uses a true SSA, as do Sako and Browning.

Secondly, does anyone know if the Hawkeye uses a freefloated barrel, or do they use a pressure point on the barrel?

I am pleased to hear that the new LC6 trigger is better than the old ones. Ruger has been notorious for having some of the worst triggers in the industry.

I understand that for awhile now, Ruger has been making their own barrels, and that they hammer forge them, which is common in Europe, but somewhat uncommon in the US. The much more common practice in the US is to button rifle or cut rifle them.
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")
roscoe
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger hawkeye 204 stainless/synthetic

Post by roscoe »

Just picked this one up the other day.Ruger Hawkeye 204.She's a beauty and groups 3-4 in a dime @ 100 yds.Good enough for this old boy. :D
Think I'll keep this one! :wink: