Let's Talk Triggers

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Let's Talk Triggers

Post by Lenard »

I have been pretty spoiled on my go to varmint guns, as the two Sako's have the pulls adjusted to 14 and 17 oz's respectively. Most of my shooting is off a pretty solid rest so light triggers work ok for me.

I would like to purchase a trigger for my 204 model 700. Most of the advertisements say that the poundage can be taken down to 1 1/2 lbs. I really want something lighter and found the Shilen competition trigger is adjusted from 2-6 oz's.

Give me your take on what you use and why.

Lenard
visigoth
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varmint

Re: Let's Talk Triggers

Post by visigoth »

For the remington 700, I'd go with the Jewell trigger. I have one on my .204 and its wonderful. It comes with 3 different springs, so the pull weight can be adjusted down to 2 oz if you want. I have mine set at 7-8 oz, and for PD blasting that seems fine to me. The really nice aspect of the Jewell is that the pull weight is dictated by the spring, and not sear engagement, so they can be safely set at very low levels.

If you don't want to spend $220 on a trigger, I have heard good things about the rifle basix triggers.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jewell gets my No.1 vote, then Canjar, but too bad they're now out of business. I also use and like Timney, Rifle Basix, Moyers (for Rugers), Kippinger for single shot falling blocks.

The nice thing about Jewell's is that you can set them for varmint/bench shooting, or bump them up for coyote stand hunting or big game fairly easily.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Frank

Post by Frank »

I have a Timney on my Rem 700 and love it. It is also a LOT cheaper than the Jewel and really doubt the average varmint / predator / target shooter would know the difference between the two in terms of adjustment, creep etc. In other words all you get with a jewel is a much HIGHER price tag, again with the possible exception for benchrest shooters. Sorry (jewel) boys!

Plus the jewel has a thin, razor (almost) for a trigger, simiilar to Savage accu trigger which I personally do not care for. But of course is just me / indivdual taste.

HEY, someone had to give a rebutal. lol
Frank
THE BEST VACATIONS ARE WHEN SOMETHING DIES... FISHING ETC
Lenard

Post by Lenard »

Frank, how light have you been able to reduce the weight on the Timney triggers? I would very much like to match the 14-17 oz weight on my two Sako triggers. I am certainly not going into the benchrest competition so if I can buy a perfectly useful trigger, for less that $225, I would likely make that choice.

Has anyone had or have experience with the Shilen trigger?

Lenard
Frank

Post by Frank »

Lenard, I am not positive how light the Timney can be set. However, "IF" my memory serves right it can be adjusted in the same range as a Jewel or Shilen. Pretty light in other words.

Anyway, mine is set just under 2lbs which I like as an all around pull... whether target shooting or hunting in cold / weather...

I would imagine their website has their trigger pull weight adjustments listed (low to high).

Good Luck
Frank
THE BEST VACATIONS ARE WHEN SOMETHING DIES... FISHING ETC
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

I adjusted the trigger on my 700 down to 1-1/2 lbs and am happy with it but I know that some people like a lighter trigger. I think if I were to replace the trigger on the 700 I'd go with a single set trigger like on my CZ. Let us know what you decide and how she shoots! Gary
Lenard

Post by Lenard »

Gary, I adjusted mine down to 1 1/2 lbs,but it just does not see to stay there. I checked it the other day and it was consistently over two lbs. I could kick my self in the butt over buying the Remington without doing some scouting on the internet. The reason I bought the remington, was to have a lighter carry gun. If I had any idea the plastic stock flexed so much, I would have changed my mind. One of my shooting partners, has a CZ in 223 and I really like the trigger. Would have been a better decision.

After I have shot this gun a little more, I am going to tackle the trigger that came with the gun. I have found that by changing springs, that I have been able to make good triggers on the older 77 rugers I have. I just have to be in the right frame of mind to tear it apart. If I fail, it will just go into the junk bin. I was looking at the Keplinger set trigger on Brownells and that may be a possibility.

Lenard