R15 Bullet Scraping

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
landtoy80
.204 Ruger Guns: R15

R15 Bullet Scraping

Post by landtoy80 »

I made some dummy rounds and feed them through the Remington R15.
There is a groove along the mouth of the brass. Is that from the feed ramp or mag?

There are lines going up and down the bullet. No sure where they came from.

Will these marks on the bullet affect accuracy?
If this is a problem, can anything be done to solve the problem?

I think the line next to the brass mouth is from the ramp.
Is the lines going up and down the bullet from the chamber?
Last edited by landtoy80 on Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wiiings12
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Stainless

Re: R15 Bullet Scraping

Post by Wiiings12 »

I'm not entirely sure what gun you are talking about, as I don't know too much about what I don't own! What I do know is my Remington 700 was doing the EXACT same thing, and the reason was the magazine box was sticking up a few millimeters higher than it should have been. So when you slid the bolt forward the bullet was scraping on the magazine box, opposed to sliding up on that nice curved incline. I just filed down my magazine box with a file, and then made it look pretty with some sandpaper. Shes smooth as silk now! I don't if you are talking about a HDR or a bolt action.. or whatever other possibilities there may be.. but that's how I fixed mine.
Graham
Assault is a behavior, not a device.
landtoy80
.204 Ruger Guns: R15

Post by landtoy80 »

The R15 is Remington's AR15 but it comes in camo.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

I know diddly myself about auto loaders but they will beat up the cartridges somewhat.
The horizontal marks on the bullets would be my first concern. Have you checked the distance to the lands in this rifle? They seem to be contacting something but I doubt its the lands.
Check to see if your COL has changed. Its important to make sure the bullets are'nt slipping in or out of the case during cycling.

A good smith should be able to smooth up the feeding if your interested.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

It looks to me like it's hitting the bolt locking lug in the action. It's either catching it on the way in, or the ejector spring is pushing it to one side on the way out. Take the recoil spring out of the butt and work the action by hand. Without the spring tension you should be able to work it slow enough to see if it's happening on the way into the chamber. On the way out, slowly open the action till you can stick your finger in and keep the case centered ALL the way out. You'll just have to fight the ejector spring on the way out which is no big deal. I do this every time I unload any rifle so I dont scratch the bullets jacket. :wink: I'm sure Wiiings12 or my solution will get it fixed for ya.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition