Remington 700 Aftermarket Trigger?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Wiiings12
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Stainless

Remington 700 Aftermarket Trigger?

Post by Wiiings12 »

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and fairly new to the shooting world. I recently bought a Remington 700 SPS Stainless and really enjoy shooting it. I just don't like the trigger very much, the pull is a little heavy and I like a few mm's of creep in there. I am looking to buy a aftermarket trigger for it, but I haven't got the slightest idea what to look for. I am not use to shooting extremely nice rifles, most of the things I shoot are from my dad's old collection. So it doesn't need to be top of the line, but if I am going to spend some money, I might as well get something worth buying. I have around 120 dollars to spend, Think that's enough? or should I keep saving? Me being 15 and all the money doesn't flow so well..

I also just bought a new laminated stock for the .204. The company I purchased it from said its done and ready to go, but I was just wondering if someone could explain the purpose and process of glass and pillar beading. if that's even what its called. I have virtually all the woodworking machines necessary to do this, that I am sure of. I just have no idea what needs done.

Thank you for the help guys.
-Graham
Last edited by Wiiings12 on Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Assault is a behavior, not a device.
Frank

Re: Remington 700 Aftermarket Trigger?

Post by Frank »

Hey Graham, welcome to the forum and Conrats on your fine Rem purchase. I'm basically new here also, even though I joined nearly 2 1/2 yrs ago. lol Just haven't posted much is why I say that.

Anyway, pay attention now... TIMNEY is the trigger you want; TRUST me on this, ok? lol They can be had for approx $100 or there abouts, unless they went up a lot in the last couple years, which I doubt.

You can definitely pay more, but won't get more. I've owned a LOT of Remmys over the decades and always just had my triggers lightened, which does work fine. However, once I starting using Timneys I never went back to adjusting factory triggers. There's No comparison!

So do yourself a favor & either install or have a gunsmith install that Timney; You'll be glad you did! I like mine adjusted around 2lbs, but everyone is different.

Good Luck

Frank
THE BEST VACATIONS ARE WHEN SOMETHING DIES... FISHING ETC
cracker

Post by cracker »

here is a link you might want to check out. However please read the first couple of lines and take his warning to be an honest one.
Cracker
http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=19761
Sportingly
cracker
Wiiings12

Post by Wiiings12 »

How complicated is the installation of those triggers? Do you think an average joe could do it? lol Thanks for the reccomendation
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Wiiings: Another vote for the Timney, and 'yes', I'm sure you can install it yourself by the sound of your mechanical/woodworking experience.

As mentioned, you CAN pay more, but you won't get much more for what you want. It is most likely the best deal out there for the quality it provides.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

another vote for timney triggers. i have installed them on my 2 varmint rifles, a 204 and a 223. best thing i ever did to a rifle. timney is good about sending installation instructions with each trigger. just remember, when adjusting pull down, to where you like it, do a drop test before ever loading a live round. and don't mess with the creep adjustment, as timney sets them up at the factory, and the creep is not noticeable. good luck in your quest to find the best trigger for you. and timneys are a very good investment for around $100.00.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Wiiings12

Post by Wiiings12 »

Sounds like I'm getting a Timney then! Thanks guys.

So does anyone know what exactly the glass beading and pillar beading does? and better yet does anyone know how to do it?

I'll try and get a picture on here when my stock comes in the mail.
kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Post by kenbrofox »

Hi Graham, I have two remy. model sevens and both were adjusted by a gunsmith,the pulls are lighter but they are not sweet so i am oppting for timneys now. Cheers, kenbro UK.
' Pay it forward buddy '
Bunnybuster
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger No. 1

Post by Bunnybuster »

The advice you have been given on the Timney triggers is right on, and if you buy one, I'm sure you will be happy with it. But, personally I would break in the rifle, and then try adjusting the stock trigger first, but it is your $100. As you fire your rifle, the micro burrs that are left from the machining process will hone/burnish themselves off, and the action should get smoother.

As far as glass and pillar bedding, depending on the stock you purchased, it may not require any further work, just like the manufacturer said.

Bedding the action to the stock, while floating the barrel provides a solid, consistent place for the action to rest, that doesn't move relative to the stock, and distributes the impact load from the recoil better. On a 204, I'm not sure how much effect distributing the load has, as there really isn't much. Also, due to modern machining practices, and the extremely tight tolerances that are being produced today, there is less need for bedding than there was even ten years ago.

Glass bedding is accomplished by putting a release agent on the action, putting an acrylic, epoxy, or other two part hardening polymer in the stock recess, and bolting the action into the stock while the bedding material hardens. Once it is hardened, there is no longer any tolerance between the stock and the action.

Pillar bedding installs, and beds, metal pillars into the stock, which the action bolts into. Again, it provides a solid base to mount the action with little slop.

Your new stock may well have pillars, or a metallic or hard composite plastic bedding plane preinstalled by the factory, and not require any further work. Cutting stocks, and their components on CNC machines, to match rifle actions machined on CNC machines, leaves very little slop to take out.
Wiiings12

Post by Wiiings12 »

Wow, Thank you very much. I did not expect you all to respond so quickly to my question. Thanks again! very glad I chose to be a member of this forum opposed to several others!
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Bunnybuster is correct,
Try adjusting your factory trigger first and see if you really need to spend the money on a replacement. I adjusted mine and am happy enough with it to leave it alone. If you still don't like it then the boys are correct in their advice for a replacement.
Gary
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Post by steve »

whats better timney or jewell ?
Wiiings12

Post by Wiiings12 »

Well, I would certainly say a Jewell, due to the fact that it is more expensive. and in today's world you get what you pay for, with very few exceptions. But as others have said right here on this page you wont notice a difference in the two. I have not seen much negative response to the Timneys but some folks don't like the shape of triggers on the Jewells. Said something along the lines of it being sharp.. I have no experience with either one, so don't rely on me.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Timney/Jewell: Remember, you do get what you pay for. I own multiple examples of both brands, in addition to others also. For the money/value, you will not be disappointed with a Timney.

Jewells are by far and above the creme of the crop, but you may not be comfortable spending over two Benjimans on a trigger. Put it this way, virtually most of the BR guys use Jewell, as did every one of our Olympic shooters in rifle competition.

That should put it to rest.....they really are not in the same league, but for the casual shooter, you probably really don't need a Jewell for the average varmint rifle and would get by just dandy with a Timney.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Like someone mentioned earlier...have you tried or have you had a good smith try to adjust the factory trigger? Most Remington triggers adjust easily and very predictably in terms of pull weight. The secret is making sure the entire trigger mechanism is clean before you try adjusting it.

As for Timneys and Jewels, take Rick's advice and buy a Timney. It's a much better trigger application for a hunting rifle. In this case, price isn't necessarily the best determining factor.

-BCB