My first .204

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

My first .204

Post by BabaOriley »

After reading another thread today, I decided it was time I took pics of my first .204 for you guys.

It's a Dtech, with a 23" 1:10 Shilen select match barrel, with Mike's custom compensator on the end. I really only went with the compensator because I could, and it's like a work of art. If ordering another one, I may consider not getting the compensator, only because it's not really necessary for the .204, and it honestly bothers me a little knowing it's never really clean in there. If you look closely in one pic, you can see a bluish tint inside compensator. That's copper residue.

Dtech sells mainly Olympic parts, but I requested my first AR use DPMS, only because they have "St. Cloud, MN" stamped on them, and that's where I was born. A little cool factor for me. The handguard is the WOA Varmint model. Scope is a Millett TRS-1, 4-16x50, with illuminated mil dot reticle (review here). Armalite 30mm one piece scope mount. I think I might try some scope mounts that are 1/4" higher. I think I could acquire a sight picture faster if it was a little higher than the Armalite. I tried a friend's who's scope is about 1/2" higher and it felt more natural from a standing position. Not that I'll be shooting from a standing position much with this beast, but ?... It weighs 11 pounds even, with a loaded 20rd magazine, without the Harris S25 bipod. The bipod must weigh another 2 pounds, making an already barrel heavy rifle feel much more so.

I received this rifle 2 days before the postal shoot targets had to be postmarked. Since then I haven't had the time to do the load development I wanted to, but have got it shooting sub MOA just trying some loads posted here. Too cold out now to sit and take my time at the range. If I'm going to sit now it'll be while waiting, watching for coyotes.

This is my first AR, so I really have nothing to compare to, but every detail in dealing with Mike Milli has been outstanding. He's a wealth of knowledge, and he always backs up his recommendations with first hand experience, and feedback he gets from others. I found Dtech through reading on the Internet. Reading one great review after another. I then looked at costs. I haven't seen the prices change on Mike's website yet, but all the big shops seem to be priced much higher than a year ago.

Here's the pics. I would have liked to take more but camera went dead.

Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Re: My first .204

Post by Medic52 »

ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW...........Nice setup
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC
Hunter-of-Hunters
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS

Post by Hunter-of-Hunters »

very nice!!!
rpknaz
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger KM77VT MKII with Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40

Post by rpknaz »

Just a few comments
1st - OMG!!
2nd - OMG!!
3rd - That is one sweet rifle you got there. The varmits won't stand a chance, unless it was me pulling the triger. :D Very nice.
Peace and love will get you killed. Unarmed helplessness is a welcome mat for evil. Self-defense is the most powerful, driving instinct in good people everywhere. To deny it is evil personified. Ted Nugent.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Very nice rig! Looking forward to feedback once you get to experiment with loads for that beauty.
joghotrod

Post by joghotrod »

Now you have gone and done it! You will have to order at least 1 or 2 more uppers. It is like a drug addiction. I barely got through my first prairie dog shooting trip before I ordered a second Dtech .204 upper with a different twist. I also have a 6BR upper from Mike. I had to quit before my wife got too mad. :lol: :wink:

If I decided to get another Dtech it would be a 20BR.

You can't beat the quality or the price on Mike's work.

Jimmy
.204 Ruger M77 Mark II Weaver 6-24
.222 Rem. BDL Varmint Leupold VX III 6.5-20
.204 Dtech AR 24 in. 1/9 twist SS Fluted Shilen Barrel with Compensator, Leatherwood 8.5-25 uni-dial Also 1/12 twist Shilen. NRA Life Member
6BR Dtech Upper, Shilen 1/8 twist.
furhntr
.204 Ruger Guns: cz 527 varmint

Post by furhntr »

How much does it weigh.?
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

I have one of DTech's uppers in .223 with his compensator and I've found that if I take a Q-Tip with the plastic shaft and bend it to a 45-90 degree angle at the cotton bud, it makes wiping out the compensator much easier...

I use Outers Foam Bore cleaner in mine and stand the upper in a corner with the muzzle down on an old folded wash cloth and the clean up is a snap....
AR
Factory/Factory
Wiiings12
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Stainless

Post by Wiiings12 »

I know this is a little... stupid if you will.. but where do you go about making a custom gun like this? it looks really cool and I'd like to check it out
Assault is a behavior, not a device.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

You can contact Mike Milli at Dedicated Technology,
http://www.dtechsuperstore.com/
and he's very easy to work with in planning what you want...

Be advised that the last time I heard about his workload, he has quite a wait period, about 6 months for a full rifle,,, but it's worth the wait.

I have yet to hear of anyone that is disappointed with his work..

I had my .204 AR upper built by Randall Rausch at AR15Barrels.com a few years ago and it's a tack driver also...

If you have your homework done and know what you want and what ammunition you will be shooting, it will make it easier.... The two most important items on an AR are the barrel quality and the trigger action. Everything else is personal preference from 'super cool' (expensive) to plain and low budget

For instance, I knew that with my .204 AR, I would be working with the 39-40gr bullets and the chamber is cut to allow a .030" jump to the lands, rather than a longer jump that is so common with a lot of factory rifles....This restricts me from shooting the 50gr Bergers however....

The .223 that Mike made for me has an exceptionally slow twist rate barrel for the lighter weight bullets and was made for Prairie Dog shooting at long ranges...

You just need to decide what you want out of the finished product..
AR
Factory/Factory