Need a new 204

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Need a new 204

Post by Gube »

I have a dillema. I need a new 204. I have two heavy savages right now and am looking for a lighter one to be used as my calling rifle for yotes. My problem is i've been spoiled with the out of the box accuracy of my heavy savages and don't want to sacrifice accuracy with a lighter version.
I've come up with a list of possibilities.
Remington 700 VTR. 7.5 lbs, Shoulders really nice. Not sure about the triangular barrel. Probably will need a trigger and bedding. $700

Savage M10 Predator. 7.25 lbs. May get this one in a 243 as well. $700

Tikka T3 laminated stainless. 6 5/8 lb. $970
T3 lite synthetic. 6 3/8 lbs. $600
T3 super varmint. 6 lbs. Probably my #1 preference but most expensive at $1500.00
Not to sure about the weight in the super varmint. I've seen it listed from 6 to over 8 lbs.

CZ-527 American. 6.34 lbs. Shoulders really nice but don't know how well that skinny barrel will hold up for accuracy. $870

CZ-527 Varmint (walnut). 7.21 lbs. $770

I have a Leupold scope that is getting quite lonely and needs to be placed on a yote rig.
Any suggestions? (prices are quite a bit higher out here in Canada).
Savage Vaporizer
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: Need a new 204

Post by futuretrades »

have you looked at the Howa's
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

My light Savage shoots the same load as my heavey Savages into .5 and .6 groups consistantly.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

If it's a dedicated calling rig will barrel heat be a factor? IMO I would find a load for it the same way I expect to use it which would be a 5 shot string over a 30 minute period. Each shot will be coming from a cold/cool barrel when predator hunting.

These are just my thoughts & having said that I would buy the CZ American & top it with a 4-14 or thereabouts & call some critters to it. :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
K22

Post by K22 »

I have one that you haven't listed that is pretty impressive. It's a Ruger Ultralight. It shoots factory loads into a 1/2" and my recent handload of 27.2gr. of H4895, Rem. brass and Primer, and a 35gr. Berger right at that or less. In testing, I shoot 5 rounds at a time without letting the barrel cool and that is the groups it consistantly shoots. This is a factory stock rifle that I lightened the trigger to 2.5lbs.
I'm sure I could get my handloads under a 1/2", but with just a 2x7 scope on it and older eyes, why try. Who knowns what a bedding job and free floating the barrel would do, but I'm happy right where it is.
This rifle is a nice light handling Coyote rig that handles and carries a bit better than my Rem. Model 7 in 17Rem. I would recommend this one for a light weight hunting rig.
Varmintcaller
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 15001vosv

Post by Varmintcaller »

I agree with futuretrades, Take a look at the Howa 1500, with the Hogue Overmoulded stock, Mine is a great coyote calling rifle. I get 1/2to3/4 groups, depending on how steady im holding on any particular day.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Have you looked at the Savage 11BTH? I just got one and it shoots 3 bullet holes touching each other at 100 yards. It weighs 6.75 pounds. I am very happy with mine. It shoots that same load as my Savage VLP in 204.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
CV32

Post by CV32 »

Gube, I'm very happy with my CZ 527 American.
The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving. - Ulysses S. Grant (1822-85)
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Still not sure what I'm gonna get, but I'll be sure to let everyone know what I end up with.
Savage Vaporizer
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Post by Bergcrane2 »

Varmintcaller wrote:I agree with futuretrades, Take a look at the Howa 1500, with the Hogue Overmoulded stock, Mine is a great coyote calling rifle. I get 1/2to3/4 groups, depending on how steady im holding on any particular day.
I have the same gun but in 300WSM. I love it. It's light and easy to handle and the rubber stock doesn't get cold at all. I've been sitting in a tree for the last week or so at 20 degrees and the stainless is the only part of the gun that get's cold.
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

I went with a Remington LVSF for my lightweight, but they are discontinued. I think if I owned Savages in the same caliber, I'd be inclined to have another and cross my fingers that the loads overlapped as someone mentioned earlier.

I'm not too crazy about sending my money out of Country with these days, but if I did, it would be to the Finn's before any other.
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

Post by cshooter »

My Savage Predator in 204 hits exactly the same with the same load as my Savage modle 12 VLP at the same ranges. The poly stock keeps the weight down, and the all camo makes it almost invisible to the coyotes I've shot. I have to be careful not to lean it up against a tree or bush bcause I'm lible to loose it. I'm not sorry I got mine. I had a Ruger 77 MK 11 and could'nt waite to get rid of it. Had alot of trouble with it's inconsistant accuracy. That's my vote......
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Gube,
I picked up a CZ 527 American Carbine (only in .223) and the quality appears to be first rate. I haven't had the chance to check accuracy yet.
Gary
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

Unless you are just looking to get away from Savage, take a look at their 16FSS (Weather Warrior) series... 7.5# and it shoots as well as I can, as long as I don't heat up the barrel... For a calling/field rifle it's a great rifle for accuracy.

I've had one for several years and it's nailed a lot of Prairie Dogs when using it as an "in between" rifle while my ARs are cooling off..

It gave me the 3rd place in the last postal shoot in the Factory/Factory class and would have done better if I had been able to pace my shots to keep the barrel reasonably cool..
AR
Factory/Factory