7 Grains, anything to lose sleep over?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Pydpiper
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka Varmint

7 Grains, anything to lose sleep over?

Post by Pydpiper »

I have had tremendous luck with the 39 Grain Blitz factory loads with my Tikka, but with supply running thin I have been forced to look elsewhere for my ammo. I have noticed I get great results from the Remington 32 grain BT, but I often wonder if they are enough to keep up with my quarry. We don't have prairie dogs here, my game is coyotes, fox and smaller..
I like the thought of the the heavier bullet, but is the 7 grain difference really something I should be losing sleep over?
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Re: 7 Grains, anything to lose sleep over?

Post by Melvin Eades »

Pydpiper,

I first started out with factory Hornady 32's since there wasn't any brass or bullets out yet. I shot two coyotes with them and hit bone and made splash wounds. I also shot two and dropped them on the spot. I switched to reloads when Sierra brought out the 39 B.K. and have shot 20 plus coyotes with the 39's and have been well pleased with there performance. I've shot both and would have to say the extra weight is a big plus on coyotes. What's the old saying "If it works, don't fix it"?
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.