Ammunition woes..

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Pydpiper
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka Varmint

Ammunition woes..

Post by Pydpiper »

After trying every ammo I could get my hands on for my .204 I ended up using Federal Premium, 39 grain Blitz King. They shoot so well from my Tikka that I really have no reason to reload.
Problem is, I can't find them anymore, no shops have them and the suppliers are saying it will be a bit before they start making them again.
Apparently when deer season fires up they slow production on varmint caliber shells to keep up with the demand of deer loads. A very frustrating position to be in.
If the bullets themselves could be had any easier I would reload, to to avoid this dry spell.
I suppose it is time to bite the bullet and get myself some reloading equipment to consume more time I already don't have.. :?
Just had to vent a bit, while my .17HMR is a fun gun too it just doesn't have that same wow factor I get from shooting my beloved .204.
I hope these guys can get a surplus of ammo soon, this caliber seems to be a very popular one.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: Ammunition woes..

Post by glenn asher »

Ummmmm, Sierra makes and sells about all the 39 gr. BlitzKings they want to make. I'll bet they'd be happy to make you a bunch of them. They sure sell the dickens out of that bullet. Is it just a local drought? You can usually find them in the mail-order/ online joints without too much trouble.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Pydpiper
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka Varmint

Post by Pydpiper »

I have been to all the shops within about 75 miles from my house, they all say the same thing, with a bit of room for interpretation of course.
A couple days ago is when I had them call the supplier for Canada, thats when I got the story about the shortage.
I may have to do it by mail, never tried that before but it may be the solution I need.
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Post by Bergcrane2 »

I've had the same issues. That's one of the reasons I wound up loading. I agree, it's a very accurate factory round, and it took me a while to get my loads better. But I did! :D