Remington SPS Stainless or Tikka T3 Stainless Varmint in 204

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
FireBallGuy
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger

Remington SPS Stainless or Tikka T3 Stainless Varmint in 204

Post by FireBallGuy »

Looking for some feedback on either of these guns as my idea of a kimber pro varmint have now been banished. The remy is the weight and overall length I desire but the tikka is only slightly heavier but I can live with that too. Need another 204 and these are my last 2 options to explore. Any meeningful information would be grealtly appreciated.
Remington Model 700 SPS 17 Remington Fireball Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40SF, Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO, Savage Model 12 FVSS .22-250 Remington Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Re: Remington SPS Stainless or Tikka T3 Stainless Varmint in 204

Post by WaltherP99 »

No experience with the Tikka but I just got myself an SPS! Guess my vote would have to go that way.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
K_Hini

Post by K_Hini »

tikka makes one heck of a rifle They get my vote!! Not sure about the remington but the tikka triggers are beautiful and I haven't heard of anyone complaining about the accuracy of them either.

kyle
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

If the Tikka T3s are even half as good as their old Tikka Master Sporters from a few years back, I'd go with the Tikka. I have fondled several of the Tikka T3s like the one you listed, but have never owned or fired one. Tikka (or their parent company) makes high-quality firearms and I think you would be pleased with it.

My old Tikka Master Sporter is a 22-250 with the chrome moly heavy barrel and it was a super good shooter right out of the box. It wasn't fussy about reloads, so it was easy to find an accurate load.
Last edited by Silverfox on Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

My last Remington was a dud, so I'm not very high on them. I know there are good ones, I've had a few, but the later models are questionable (my humble opinion).
However, I do own two Tikka varmint rifles, in .223 and .22-250. They are VERY accurate, and you can adjust the trigger down to about 2 lbs. Jard triggers also make some triggers that are much lighter. Accuracy wise, they are very close to my Coopers.
Hands down, I would get the Tikka and not look back.
ImageImage
FireBallGuy
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger

Post by FireBallGuy »

They reason for my question is that my savage 12FV is giving me fits!!!! I can NOT get this thing to shoot!!! Have used the best powder and bullet combos and nothing works!!!! Not sure of the round count but it has to be over 100 for sure and this thing is not settling down at all. Obtained some wipeout and patchout as the bore was a mess and even with a perfectly clean barrel it still does not shoot. After 15 shots the barrel is allready a mess and I really dont know what to do anymore. I have heard that savage 20 cal barrels were rough but this is absurd!!! After the deep cleaning, at least the 39/40's went through the paper straight, one very small plus. I have about 60 rounds of stuff made up with H4895, if after this some results have not been achieved I may just have to get rid of it. Have spent more time and care with this gun than any other all with NO luck and I am done. I am seating bullets out to about 2.285" or so as a rule so the question is how long is the throat in these savages anyway? Have read many people tell the tale of bullets being seated out to well over 2.300" which leads me to wonder if this may be the culprit. Any other thoughts out there?
Remington Model 700 SPS 17 Remington Fireball Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40SF, Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO, Savage Model 12 FVSS .22-250 Remington Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO