700 SPS Varmint vs. 12FV

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
MI_Fulldraw
.204 Ruger Guns: none

700 SPS Varmint vs. 12FV

Post by MI_Fulldraw »

This would be my first 204 I would be useing it for coyotes mainly. I have been looking at the Reminton 700 SPS Varmint and the Savage 12FV. They are right around the same price so that not really an issue. I am not really fond of either of the stocks but I like the feel of the SPS better but it isnt free floating like the savage. A replacement stock would be in the future of which ever one I got. Just wanted to get some info from you guys and see what you guys thought would be the better buy. I would appreciate any info or experiences you guys have. Thanks
Joel
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: 700 SPS Varmint vs. 12FV

Post by glenn asher »

That sound you hear, is a giant can 'o' worms opening up :wink: My choice was, is and probably will be in the future, Savage. Remington is having some issues right now, and the odds of getting a stinker are pretty fair. Not to say a Savage can't have odor, but the odds seem more likely with Remington.

Savage's Tupperware stocks can be a problem, but no worse than the Remington SPS V stock, most likely. I have three pretty good Savages right now, so I'm probably a bit prejudiced, but after reading a lot of posts here, I'd say go with Savage.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

If you buy a Savage, I will post directions & pictures on how to fix the tupperware stock.

Currently, I have....85% Savage rifles....and will be adding only Savage's in the future.
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

I'm a 700 guy. I just like the way the way they fit and feel to me but I respect the accuracy of the Savages. Right now I have three 700's with the new one in 204. You really can't go wrong with either one. If the Savage feels better then buy it. That's how I buy all my guns-especially shotguns. Dave
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

I currently own a Savage VLP in .204 and I love it! You'll be extremely happy with a Savage.

Also, keep an eye out for Savage's new Accu-Stock. G&A just did a segment on it in their recent issue and it addresses alot of the problems the tupperware stocks are known for. G&A should have something about it on their site very soon.

I must also add that I just acquired a SPS Varmint in 22-250! :)

The VLP is still my fave however!

In the end, it is going to boil down to what make you happy and fits you the best.

Good luck in your decision.
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Post by dannybracy »

MI_Fulldraw, I vote for the Savage, and I sent you a personal message (PM) about my Savage 12FV
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223
MI_Fulldraw
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by MI_Fulldraw »

Ok Thanks guys for all the responses so far. dannybracy you have a PM.
Joel
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

My vote is for the Savage's as well. I have a VLP and a BTVSS (204's) and they were both under 1/2" at 100 yds right out of the box. My next dilemma is now I want another 204 but in a light weight version that will still be just as accurate as both of my 10 pound savage's. I've been looking at the CZ-527 sporter which feels really nice, and the CZ Varmint style which is a bit heavier but still feels okay.
I've even checked out the new remington model 700 VTR in 204 with the triangular barrel and cheap tupperware stock. That one felt really nice in the hands but have heard a few horror stories about them.
OR I just might have to go with another savage but in a lighter version.
Savage Vaporizer
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

I guess I'm going to have to get some lessons from some of you Remington buying experts.

I've been buying them for almost 40 years and I still haven't figured out how some of you can have so many stories about others buying so many "stinkers". I keep trying and trying, but they all seem to shoot just fine... :wall: ;)

On the other hand,the one Savage I've bought in the same time span after hearing all the internet hype about how great they are almost caused me to take up fishing full time. :loco: It was a certified copper mine.....and that was one of its better attributes.

-BCB
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

No sense in changing something that works for you. Keep buying Savages. On the other hand I have heard some folks that are waaaaaaay smarter than me say,, Everybody makes a bad one now & again." :wink: Savage has already proved to you they can & do build quality rifles. Get what you want. It's your nickel. :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

BCB

Next time you buy a copper mine give me a PM. I'll give you a procedure to end that problem quickly with no abrasives involved.

You are right, I've fought copper on every Savage barrel I've ever owned. The fight is over.
I no longer fear/loath the thought of screwing on a new Savage tube for club shoots.
I recently bought a custom 243 Win. "handlapped" tube that coppered just as bad as any Sav tube I've tried.
Should have sent it back but thats not my style. All fixed now.

I've never bought any modern day rifle other than a Savage so I've no idea if other brands shoot straight or collect copper out of the box. My first rifle purchased new was a mini-14. Traded that for a Sav VLP when I got bored with shooting hubcap sized groups.
Out of the box it shot 1/2"- 1.0" groups with factory 32's at 150yds. But only if I scrubbed the barrel clean after every group :eew:
Gotta love that versatile barrel nut though.

My friends 700 in 308 isn't very accurate but the blame for that rests with his dedication to advanced reloading skills, not the gun IMO.

I also saw a new Rem 700 in 308 for sale at the last club shoot. A quick peak in the muzzle showed an orange bore. It can happen to any manufacturer I quess. Its how you solve the problem that counts.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

I have NO data to back this up, other than what I have personally experienced by shooting old bullets and brand new bullets.

In my opinion, I believe the copper jacket material has changed from 5 years and older to now. New bullets tend to copper bores quicker.

Sorry to hijack this thread...but seems it was taking a slight curve.

Back to my previous statement, I will see if I can pick up some U channel and fix up a factory Savage flexistock off of a 12FV and document with pictures and destructions. :)
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

jo191145 wrote:BCB

Next time you buy a copper mine give me a PM. I'll give you a procedure to end that problem quickly with no abrasives involved.
I learned long ago how to solve copper issues from a pretty decent BR shooter who was very knowledgeable about such things......Jeff Fowler.

However, when the copper mine is chambered in 223 Rem, and there are obvious (reamer pilot..?) chatter marks in the barrel throat, the only solution is not messing with the barrel to make it shoot better. A better barrel is the only solution. I never bothered messing with it as the barrel was by far not the end of the horror story.

Keep the chin up, Glen....

-BCB
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

It never drops. :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

Gube wrote:My vote is for the Savage's as well. I have a VLP and a BTVSS (204's) and they were both under 1/2" at 100 yds right out of the box. My next dilemma is now I want another 204 but in a light weight version that will still be just as accurate as both of my 10 pound savage's. I've been looking at the CZ-527 sporter which feels really nice, and the CZ Varmint style which is a bit heavier but still feels okay.
I've even checked out the new remington model 700 VTR in 204 with the triangular barrel and cheap tupperware stock. That one felt really nice in the hands but have heard a few horror stories about them.
OR I just might have to go with another savage but in a lighter version.
The Model 25 might be right up your alley! :)