Having trouble with new Remington 700 VTR accuracy

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
sevensandeights
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Having trouble with new Remington 700 VTR accuracy

Post by sevensandeights »

Hello, this is my first post so please bear with me.

I love to shoot woodchucks and finally decided to buy a dedicated rifle for this purpose. I live in Erie, PA (northwest corner of the state) and most shots are 100-350 yards. There are lots of hills around here so there is minimal bench rest shooting and therefore wanted a walking/stalking gun. With all this in mind, I ended up buying a Remington 700 VTR in .205 Ruger and mounted a Leupold VX-III 6.5x20 40mm LR scope with Leupold QR rings and bases.

I have been having all kinds of trouble with this gun on paper. It consistently shoots 2" three shot groups at 150 yards using 32 gr Hornadys. It shoots similar groups with the 34 gr Winchester hollow points. When I tried using the 40 gr Hornadys, the groups opened up to a disgusting 6-7". I am shooting on a bench with a Harris bipod and rear sand bag.

Any suggestions? I bought this gun because I had good luck with my Remington 700 7mm-08 and (to be completely honest) because I like the looks. I am considering a trade-in for a LV SF depending on how much I can get for the VTR. Would this be worthwhile or do you have any other suggestions. I do NOT want a heavy barrel gun though and prefer to stay away from the Savages (again for looks - I am so vain!). I don't want to spend much more than $800 or so.

Thanks in advance.
Ruger No. 1
.204 Ruger Guns: XR-100 Ruger No. 1 Savage 16

Re: Having trouble with new Remington 700 VTR accuracy

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

Do you reload?
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

There are pleanty of guns that just don't like some of the 40 gr. bullets. My XR 100 hated them, with the exception of the Berger 40 gr. HPBT. I would suggest you try those and also the 39 gr. Sierra BKs. There are as many rifles on that shoot the 39s well. My rifle even shot the Hornady 45 gr. soft point bullets well. Try a different bullet before you give up. Federal Premium V-Shock uses the 39 gr. SKB and Hornady sells ammo with the 45 gr. soft point. If you reload, it would open up a world of possibilities. Good Luck.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Welcome to the forum 7's&8's

As Skipper said try the Federals with 39's. They shoot very well in my latest Savage tube. "For factory fodder"
If that purty gun still won't shoot you can trade it for another purty gun. Thats entirely logical.
If it doesn't say Savage on it I won't shoot it. Unless its custom of course.

Just a little good natured razz on my part. I wish you luck with the chucks. ;) :lol:

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

How many rounds down the tube?

Has the action been bedded and the barrel free floated?

Friend just picked one of these up and had to free float the barrel.
sevensandeights

Post by sevensandeights »

Thanks for all the replies.

No, I do not reload . . . yet. I was hoping to find some factory ammo that worked well with my gun at first and then get into reloading.

The barrel is not free floated and the action is not bedded beyond how it came from the factory. The stock on this gun is far and away the absolute worst component. It is the cheapo synthetic version similar to the SPS models and NOT the HS precision that comes on the LV SF. I was considering a new stock (or free floating the current one) and bedding the action but wasn't sure how much it will cost. If the price is more than $200 then I could just put that money toward another rifle with more accuracy from the factory.

I will try the Federals also but that will be the last ammo I try. I have put 5 boxes of 32 grain Hornadys, 3 boxes of 40 grain Hornadys and one box of Winchester through the gun so far.
greystone

Post by greystone »

If you read my posts in the reloading area of this forum regarding Midway Dog towns-those groups have been shot with a 700 VTR. I absolutely love this rifle. I admit that the stock isn't of the highest quality and I have read on another forum that someone was unable to free float his barrel but I had no problem. I just used 3/4 and 1/2" dowel rods wrapped with 60 grit paper. The trigger is set at 2.5 lbs which is very easy to do. With 35 grain Bergers it will shoot sub 1/2" all the time. I shoot pennies taped to my 100 yd target just for fun. There's alot of guns that can do that tho. After getting the gun and doing a thorough barrel cleaning and the barrel paste treatment it was accurate from the get-go. I suppose I have about 4-500 rounds through it by now and just got done loading some more stuff for it tonight. Haven't shot any factory stuff tho. Dave
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

I would highly recommend the Hogue stock. Believe they are under $100 for a aluminum pillared stock with some aluminum frame in the stock. Nice texture and high adhesion coating on the stock as well.
kenyonh
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VLSS

Post by kenyonh »

I've come to conclusion that my Rem 700 VLSS is a republican and factory ammo is democrat (notice I lower case both). The two just don't play well together. Though I haven't quite seen the same groups you discribe, it did take quite a few rounds "break in" the barrel AND learn the gun. But the biggest gain in grouping was when I bucked up and started reloading for it as I do all my cal's.
Hope this helps. This is great forum with a lot of info. I'm sure you'll get it worked out.
Also I should add (though I'm sure I'm the only doof to do this) I will admit that my initial outing with the gun all over the place on paper was due to the later discovery of the rear scope base not being torqued down. Every body has a "Monday moment". Now I laugh at it, but it was really embarrassing and it still has not been forgotten.
Greg H.
Not only do we have opposing thumbs, we also have trigger fingers.
700remguy
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700lvsf

Post by 700remguy »

I also hunt groundhogs in Pa,Northeast,and I recently purchased the 700 LVSF,topped it wiht a 3.5-10VX3.I felt this would fill the bill as I hunt the same terrain as you are,most of my shots are in the 200-300 yd range.My first 60 rounds thru it were with hornady ammo with 32 gr VMAX.Most groups were in the 1-1.5 range.When I tooled up for the 204,I started with 32 gr VMAX and32 gr BLITZKING and benchmark.Right off the groups pulled in th .5 or better,the best being with 26.5 gr benchmark and BLITZKINGS.I have some 39 grs on hand but havent tried them yet.I think you will find the LVSF just what you need for your situation,its light and quick,add a Harris swiveling bipod and your set.Good luck,Matt