scope mildot calculations.

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
chili1k
.204 Ruger Guns: mkII 77 target grey

scope mildot calculations.

Post by chili1k »

I have been reading this forum for a bit however, this will be my first post. Woohoo

I have a ruger 77 target grey .204 topped with a weaver v24 mil dot.

I am looking for calculations to figure out where each mildot is hitting.

If I zero out my scope at 100 yds. (longest range i have available at this moment) I would like to know what yardage the other mildots are set at 125 yds 236 yds etc. I Know it all depends on the ballistics of the particular round. I dont have a scientific calculator to figure it out for me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks much
Mike.
Bunnybuster
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger No. 1

Re: scope mildot calculations.

Post by Bunnybuster »

The MilDots are graduated in minutes of angle, at a given magnification. Sorry, I can't remember what the power and amount of angle is off hand, but I thinkit is 6-minutes per dot at 12-power. And, a minute of angle is about an inch at 100-yds, (1.047198-inches actually).

So read up in your manual to be sure of which magnification, and the amount of angle. If you double the magnification, the angle is half, and if you half the magnification, the angle is doubled.

Then use an external balistic calculator, to calc the external trajectory. (There are a bunch of online calcualtors just Google "ballistic calculator", but handloads.com has a good one) By tweeking the site in distance you can figure out how far out the zero will be by varying the zero distance, and checking the impact at 100 yds.

For example: If your first dot is 6-minutes at 12-power, then you want the impact at 100-yds to be 6-inches high, if you crank the magnification up to 24-power, then it would be half the angle, and you would want to look for a 3-inch high impact at 100-yds. For a 204 shooting 32 grain Hornady factory rounds, at the advertised 4220-fps, your first mil dot would be "on" at about 480 yds out at twelve power, and 355-yds at 24-power.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Welcome to the Forum chili!! :wink: Don't be shy here. This is one of the few places where Mods are afraid of being laid off!! :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
204Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77II Ultralight

Post by 204Shooter »

Glen, Your Fired! :o

Oh, and by the way, welcome Chili!
Marriage is the only sport where the trapped animal has to buy the license! ... Just kiddin honey! :hail:
rfurman24
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12

Post by rfurman24 »

One mil is 3.6 moa. Different scopes have different settings. For instance my Elite 4200 6-24x40sf is set for 12x, so at 12x each dot is one mil from the next. If I go to 24x the mil is halfed i.e. 1.8 moa. If I go to 6x it is doubled i.e. 7.2moa.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

:eek:

:wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen