Lefty Bolt Guns

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Bunnybuster
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger No. 1

Lefty Bolt Guns

Post by Bunnybuster »

Is anyone making left handed bolt guns?

I have fourteen year old sorta stepson, (his Mom and I are no longer together), that is starting to hunt. He has a very dominant left eye, and because the instructors at hunters ed insist that the kids learn to shoot with their dominant eye, he shoots left handed. I bought him a 10-22 for his birthday in May, and he is getting pretty good with it.

For this year, he will be hunting deer with a Ruger No. 1, probably in 257AI, 6-STW, or 30-06, (mostly because they are ambidextrous, and the brother and I own them). I don't want to dump a $1000 dollars on a left handed rifle and scope, until he actually hunts, and I know if he likes it enough to keep at it.

So, I have started looking into what rifles are out there, and from what I'm seeing none of the major manufacturers are producing left handed rifles. (Maybe someone needs to let them know that a third of the kids coming through hunters ed, are being trained to shoot left handed, so the market will soon be the largest ever.)

Anybody got suggestions or recommendations for lefty bolt guns?
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Lefty Bolt Guns

Post by acloco »

NEF Handi Rifle
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Savage makes affordable lefties. Theres a real good chance it will be a shooter too.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
sixshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger number 1

Post by sixshooter »

My son has a dominant left eye but is right handed. He was having real trouble shooting when he was about 11 and we figured this out. He improved immediatly when he started to shoot left handed. He used a right handed bolt and it has not bothered him. He is 27 now and some time ago somebody lent him a left handed bolt. He could barely work it. Said he will stick to shooting right handed guns left handed. He shoots pistols right handed and shotgun lefthanded. Dont know if this helps but I do know that it is possible if the kid wants to.

One of my shotgun friends (sporting clays) is left handed and he just got a left handed banelli. Real pretty gun, shoots excelent but he gets a miss every now and then because he puts the safty on when he thinks he is taking it off. Funny at the range where safe handeling is a must. Not so funny in the field.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Remington also makes a line of left hand rifles. Finding them in stock at your local store is another story. You could probably order one. One of my sons is left handed, also.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
CV32

Post by CV32 »

CZ and Tikka also make lefty bolt guns.
The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving. - Ulysses S. Grant (1822-85)
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I think you should get one of those nice Holland & Holland double rifles. They're ambidextrous. For $275,000.00 they should do something unique.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

skipper wrote:I think you should get one of those nice Holland & Holland double rifles. They're ambidextrous. For $275,000.00 they should do something unique.

Not a bad idea Skipper.
Then buy two sporter weight 204 barrels and hammer em down the bores. The worlds first double 204. Nice.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .