new stock

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
cracker

new stock

Post by cracker »

I am looking for a new laminated stock for my cz varminter.
does anyone know about the richards micro fit stocks. also I was thinking of getting a thumb hole stock, this is a hunting gun and would like to know the pros and cons of the thumb hole.
cracker
Sportingly
cracker
crazy2medic
.204 Ruger Guns: custom .204 left hand bolt.

Re: new stock

Post by crazy2medic »

Almost every rifle I have has a richards stock! they are great stocks love them alot, makes shooting and controlling the rifle so much better! now with that said, first down side is don't be in a hurry! it will take at least 4 mos to get the stock you ordered! when it gets there it will be very rough! if you enjoy wood work or at least good at it! you'll have no problems, if your not very handy or patient it will be a burdensome project!

http://www.204ruger.com/forum/viewtopic ... d93#p35647

check the above should take you to my Rifle pics
Coyote, Cat, Crow, 204 fodder!
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

The biggest problem is carrying a rifle with a thumbhole stock. It's hard to carry at the ready (port arms, for all you military minded) because there's nothing for you to wrap your hand around. You'll have loop your thumb through the thumbhole.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Another thumbhole headache would be that you have to remove your whole hand to operate the bolt, then go back and go for the previous grip you were using before. I don't like them, they distract me from what I was doing, I don't like the bulk, either, but I'm kinda cranky about such things.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
cracker

Post by cracker »

The stock I am leaning toward is the richards dual thumb hole. you are suppost to be able to use the thumb hole or not use the thumb hole. please check it out and let me know if you think its a lot of bull. I have always wanted a thumb hole stock but guy's I am a hunter and want to keep my gun a hunting gun. I do enjoy using the bench for load developement but then its to the sticks for me. thanks for your imput
http://www.rifle-stocks.com/dualgripthumbhole.htm
Sportingly
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

Yes, that looks useable without the thumbhole, but you'd have to wonder if it was very useful WHEN using the thumbhole. It looks "neither fish nor fowl, nor good red meat" to me, but then, I DID say I don't like them :D Hey, it's your money, your choice, and you'll be the one using it, so my opinion is just that, MINE. If it suits you, go for it!
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

I like that stock! Decades ago, my Father built custom gun stocks as a hobby and side line business. I remember him doing some thumbhole sporter styles in the 1960's. Some shooters think that having the thumbhole puts your hand in a better position for trigger control. Most important is if you like it.
crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

my rifle is a hunting rifle! shoots great off the bench, but does fine walking around! My 17yo son has a howa 1500 heavy barrel .204, it has a boyds thumbhole stock on it! I watched him snap shoot a running jackrabbit from 40yds away! thumbhole didn't seem to bother him at all!
To me the thumbhole stock makes the gun more comfortable to shoot! more control, easier to handle!
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

I wish I had a thumbhole on every rifle I own & my shotgun. :wink: The Richards dual thumbhole isn't as user friendly as I thought it would be. A lot of extra wood would have to be removed for my hand to be comfortable. HTH
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
cracker

Post by cracker »

O.k. I am going to get a thumb hole stock now tell me if you would get the dual grip as in the other post or this thumb hole its the straight line
http://www.rifle-stocks.com/straightlinethumbhole.htm
thanks for all the imput guys its really appreciated.
Sportingly
Cracker

lets take votes
the straight line or the dual
Sportingly
cracker
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

Straight line, for me.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Straight line too. And since this is a Richards be prepared to remove a lot of wood if you don't get a finished stock. I have a garage full of woodworking tools & still had 10 hours in getting the stock shaped & cut down in certain areas. But it sure looks nice when it's done!! :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

straightline also!
cracker

Post by cracker »

does anyone know of another company that sells thumb holes to fit a cz varminter. I like wood working but when it comes to guns a have little patience, i even pull the trigger to fast a lot of times. wold like a stock that I can bed and shoot.
love this site and all the info you guys give.
Sportingly
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Not that I'm aware of! Boyds stocks are less work and closer to being finished! but they still require some work! I'm not sure if they carry stocks for the cz but they might! if money is not at issue you can have richards do alot of the prep for you but it's gonna cost! Good luck!