Jeweled 700 bolt

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
mriddell
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700

Jeweled 700 bolt

Post by mriddell »

Question for the collective genius: I like my Rem 700 SPS Varmint just fine, but I notice some other 700 models have that nice-looking jeweled bolt. I'd like to get one of those. I don't like asking for help on something I can track down myself, but I've been browsing for a few weeks and haven't figured it out. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to swap one of those bolts over to my rifle?
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Jeweled 700 bolt

Post by Hotshot »

Last I knew, Remington would not sell a bolt without sending in the rifle for proper fitting. There may be a few for sale out in the world of gun parts but headspace must be checked and adjustments made by a competent gunsmith.
I think you can buy a tool kit from Brownells to do jeweling, Midway might have something too.
If you learn to do it real well, maybe you could go into the business.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

mridell: Hotshot is right, it's fairly easy to jewell a bolt, even if you don't have a bolt jewling fixture.

I've done it years ago with a drill press, a new wooden pencil with an eraser with some valve lapping compound. Later I "progressed" and got a neat little mandrel with abrasive impregnated rubber tip, made a little fixture and jeweled a bunch of my bolts. Brownells, Midway, or an industrial machine tooling supply will have these impregnated tips with mandrels.

Remington bolts are fairly easy to jewell without having a non-rotating controlled feed extractor, just a smooth bolt body.

Of course you can always pay your local smith about $25 and be done with it.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

mriddell
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700

Post by mriddell »

I had a good time doing the paint on this gun anyway, I'd like to do it do the bolt also, I guess. If you have some free time, Rick, could you shoot me a PM with a little more detail on your process? I've yet to get far enough down my Gotta Get list to have a drill press but I've been thinking of bumping it up anyway lol.

I may just talk to a gunsmith, I need to have the trigger done also, so I may just kill p-dogs with one round. Thanks, guys.