BIPOD QUESTION

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
happy shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 11 / ruger target gray

BIPOD QUESTION

Post by happy shooter »

I AM LOOKING TO PURCHACE A HARRIS BIPOD. SO MANY TYPES I AM A BIT CONFUSED. LOOKING AT 9'' TO 13'' MODEL. WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO MOVE IT FROM RIFLE TO RIFLE. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LEG NOTCH SWIVEL & SOLID MOUNT SWIVEL ? WHAT TYPE IS EVERYONE ELSE USING?
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: BIPOD QUESTION

Post by Hotshot »

happy,

Harris bipods are some of my favorite tools. I own 8 or 9 of them at present time to cover a variety of needs(including too lazy to switch from one varmint rifle to another so I put one on each). I like 6-9 for prairie dog shooting off the bench or hood of a truck because you don't have to build such a big sand bag pile under the rear to keep stable. I like 9-13 for prone in short grass or behind a big kicking magnum where you need to get your shoulder firmly behind the butt. I also have a longer one for sitting, which I like for coyote calling and big game hunting where the grass is too long for prone position. I got rid of all my non-swivel bipods last year. It's just too handy to give a little twist and have straight crosshairs instead of the annoying cant you get with unlevel surfaces. The notches are fast to adjust the height but the other type are able to get a more precise adjustment if you have a little time. Notches stop every 1 inch and the other type you just pull out to whatever length and lock with a large thumb screw. You would get used to either and they will serve you well. 9-13 isn't long enough for sitting and take a big sand bag for shooting off a bench. I'd go 6-9 as the most usefull for target and varmint shooting with a 204.
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Re: BIPOD QUESTION

Post by dannybracy »

The swivel allows you to "rock" the gun back and forth to get it back to level when shooting off un-level surfaces. I like it more than the solid bipod. I use 2 of the swivel 9-13" on 2 of my .204's and have a solid Harris on my AR-15 just because I don't want to shell out another $100 for another bipod. Definitely get a swivel you will like it for hunting. Just my 2 cents.... -Dan
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223