Factory loads from a Tikka .204 Varmint

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Pydpiper
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka Varmint

Factory loads from a Tikka .204 Varmint

Post by Pydpiper »

Turns out that my New Tikka 204 does not want to shoot 40 grain Horandy bullets, now I need to find something else.
What are other people having luck with? I am going to see a difference from a 39 grain to a 40 grain as far as the twist on my barrel goes? I like the heavier bullet but am willing to try anything that the gun may like. I just want (need) it to shoot straight.
There is no place for me to go buy bullets where I live, each box has to be ordered, here in Canada they are costing me about $26 per 20 rounds, a very acceptable price for bullets if they go straight, a real headache when they don't.
I ordered some new shells, and would like input on any or all if anyone has any experience with them.
32 grain V-Max
39 grain Federal
32 grain Remington Accutip
34 grain Winchester Hollow points x204R
If my gun doesn't like 40 grain is the 39 going to make a difference?
Can you tell I am new at this? :D
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Re: Factory loads from a Tikka .204 Varmint

Post by Silverfox »

Pydpiper-- I have limited experience with factory ammo. The only factory ammo I have tried is the 32 gr. Hornady V-Max stuff. After shooting 50 to 55 rounds of it down the barrel of my Savage 12VLP, the gun started shooting very nice sized groups. As for what will work in your rifle, you'll just have to give different factory ammo a try. As you probably know, what works in one shooter's rifle may well be a total disaster in your rifle.

While your rifle doesn't seem to like 40 gr. V-Max factory stuff, it may well shoot the 39 gr. Sierra factory fodder real nice. Many .204 Ruger shooters have problems with the 40 gr. V-Max bullets, even in handloads, but seem to have superb results with the 39 gr. Sierra bullets.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

Pydpiper wrote: If my gun doesn't like 40 grain is the 39 going to make a difference?
The 39 BK is a bit shorter than the 40 V-Max.

If you get a chance you should try and measure the actual twist rate of your barrel. You may find (like I did) that the twist is actually a little bit slower.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I am starting to think the Blitz King loads are not available to me here, I can not find them, nor can my local shop.
I am looking for a round called a 39 grain Blitz King by Sierra, correct?

I am happy to hear I may have better luck while only losing 1 grain in the bullet.

How does a guy properly determine the twist rate of a barrel if it is not specified?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

piper: 'Yes", you're looking for the Sierra 39gr Blitz King bullet. I don't shoot factory ammo, but I know that some companies load this bullet in factory loads. Federal, I think does.

You can determine twist rate by putting a patch on your cleaning rod, mark a spot at the bearing at the handle of the rod with a sharpie or pencil as a reference mark. Use a measuring tape, hold the end of the tape with your left hand (if right handed) and stretch out the tape to meet the handle and mark you put on the bearing.

Slowly push in the patch, watching the bearing rotate one full turn, coming back to the mark on the bearing. The amount of inches traveled when you've completed one full turn of the rod is your twist rate of that barrel.

Sounds complicated, but is very simple once you've mastered the technique. And by the way, as Silverfox mentioned that one grain of bullet weight from 40 grain to 39 grain, DOES indeed make a difference in the 204 Ruger. Good luck, bud.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

This may save you some time in determining the twist. The Tikka.fi website indicates that the 204 is 1 in 12. I believe that is the same as most factory 204s. In fact, I cannot think of any other twist rates for 204s that I have seen, unless it was a custom job.

I have noted that many forum commentators indicate that their rifles do not prefer the 40 grain bullets. I am a little surprised that some gun manufacturers do not try an eleven twist. Perhaps then it would not shoot the lighter bullets as well.
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Go to Cabelas.com & look for ammo. They have had the 39gr BK's from Hunting Shack & the 40gr Bergers. Both shoot very good in my 204 with the edge to the BK's. I also believe the boattail on the 40 V-Max is too big cutting down on the bearing surface. As soon as I went to the 39's or even the flat based 32's it shot very well again. Then the 40gr Bergers worked quite well. For me I'm thinking the boattail was too big on the V-Max. I've not tried the Noslers yet tho. HTH
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

You can also buy the Hunting Shack ammo directly from the Hunting Shack. The website is thehuntingshack.com, and it gives the phone number to call to order. I have used the 204 in 39 Blitzking, and had good results. Their prices are quite reasonable, and probably much less than Cabela's sells it for.
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Part of the problem is that I live in Canada, different resources than a lot mentioned here.
Yet another reason to reload? :D