What is going on??

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Pydpiper
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka Varmint

What is going on??

Post by Pydpiper »

Picked up a new Tikka yesterday, .204 as a package, came with a Burris 3x9 scope. When I got it home I cleaned the bore the way I always do, then removed the scope and reinstalled it with loc-tite on the bases, and put it all back together correctly.
I brought 20 rounds with me to the range, the same range I set all my rifles up on, set up at 50 yards and first shot was on paper, so I made the appropriate amount of "clicks" and placed the paper back to the 100 yard mark. I shot a few more rounds and did some minor cleaning between them.
I set up new paper at 100 yards and shot a 3 shot group (shot 11-12-13), it was a whopping 2" group! It is a tad windy, but nothing severe, shouldn't be affecting 100 yards too much. On top of it all some of the rounds appear to be "key holing", even at 50 yards.
I am shooting a brand new Tikka 204, Burris scope, factory Tikka mounts and factory Horandy loads, 40 grain V-Max.
I took a couple pictures but I can't seem to upload them right now.
Any thoughts on this guys? I am going crazy here.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: What is going on??

Post by Rick in Oregon »

piper: I can understand your concern, what with a brand new rig 'an all. I assume your Tikka, like my Sako, has a 12 twist barrel. A majority of 204's with the 12 twist just flat refuse to shoot the 40gr V-Max, period.

Before you pull any hair out, try some 32's of any brand to see if you get an immediate improvement. Chances are you will right away. If all seems well after shooting some 32's, try the 39gr Sierra Blitz King, as most 12 twist 204's really seem to like that bullet, I know my Sako thrives on it with the 12 twist.

Don't give up yet, go grab some 32's and give 'em a try.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Thanks Rick, this is an uncomfortable feeling to say the least.
I got some pictures uploaded, the picture of the group (pattern) is a simply a 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper with horizontal and vertical lines made from electrical tape, my last ditch effort to make sure I was seeing my target correctly.
The other pictures are of odd looking entry holes (50 yards), I was expecting far more uniform holes than that. I will have to find a place to buy different ammo, small town like this was hard enough for the 40 grainers.

Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I just ran up to my local shop to check for more/different ammo. I have everything they do.
I just ordered 32 grain V-Max, 39 grain Federal, Remington Accutip 32 grain and Winchester 34 grain hollow points, 2 boxes of each.
Sheesh, and I thought the gun was expensive. :D
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

piper: Time to consider getting into handloading! Cheaper, and you'll shoot more, get better accuracy out of every rifle, and have complete control over your ammo.

You'll also spend more too, which we will gladly help you part with your hard-earned cash by way of mentoring. Your wife will hate us, but your rifle will shoot better....... :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I spent most of yesterday looking at reloading equiptment, I have a whole lot to learn before I take that on. It is in my nature to reload, so I am confident it is in my near future.
My wife.. :D She is a good one, no worries there, just got her firearms licence a month ago to assist with our son who is a daily shooter, and 5 years old. I congratulated her with a new CZ 452 American. I am far from wealthy, but she is more than deserving.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

piper: Good deal, glad you're considering handloading. Once you get going, you'll never shoot factory stuff again.

Also glad to hear you've "got a good one". I'm also so blessed with an understanding wife who works for one of the major bullet companies, so she's not only understanding, she's also very technically oriented, and knowledgeable of the sport. I'm retired, she works..... perfect. ;)

By the way, I know getting shooting related stuff from down here is a bit on the spendy side, but do know that Sinclair International sends stuff up your way daily. Their prices are reasonable too, just in case you are not familiar with them.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

pydpiper - what Rick in Oregon (goes by the handle RIO on here) is actually welcoming you to...is a 15 or 20 step program......hand feeding the 204's!
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

acloco: Well said, my friend! :lol:

(And oh so true!)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

Here's what my rifle does with factory Hornady 40 grainers at 10 yds. At 100 its a ten foot group.

And here's a typical group at 100 yds using 34 grain Midway Dog Towns. 40 grainers will not work in my gun. Dave
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

If it is only 20 steps then you can count me in!
So far my entire inventory of reloading equipment consists of 13 empty (still warm) .204 casings.
I was looking at a "beginners kit" to start reloading, glad to hear there are guys on here who can help when the time comes.
I am hoping to find a decent factory load to get this gun shooting straight to help my quiet the little voices about my scope, mounts, loose screws, etc.. that may be responsible for this terrible example of a group.
Once I accumulate some casings I will put more thought in to reloading.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Dave, if those pictures were supposed to make me feel better, then thanks! Sorry to see your gun does that too, there is a selfish little part of me that feels relieved that it is my gun and not another variable. I never got an answer if my group was typical of a "bad" group, your picture proved it to me.
Again, thanks for sharing that picture, not many people show the "worst" of what their rifle is capable of. :D
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Piper, if you go back to the very beginning of this forum, waaaaayyyy back, then you'll find you're not alone, having troubles with 40 grain bullets. It's been that way from the gitgo. One of my first posts included the 40 grain woes, too. I have NO way of knowing the stats, but I'll bet over 50% of the posters here have had that malady.
It comes up on other forums too, just this week I answered something about this on 24hourcampfire.com, in fact. Got a lot of backup, too :D Your rifle isn't alone, and it's not a bad rifle, it's those too-long 40 Hornadys.

In almost every single case, a switch to the 32 grain bullets, or the 39 gr. Sierra, makes all things better in every way :D I'd be willing to bet your rifle will come around with different ammo.
I know we ALL wanted to use the 40s, with a better BC than the little 32s, but it just hasn't worked out that way for most of us. We have "endeavored to perservere" and made things work with other bullets, with very satisfactory results. :mrgreen:
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Fixed, done.
I bought a box of 32's and 39's in the Sierra, both worked wonderfully and gave me the groups I had hoped for.
Thanks!

David
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Post by Bergcrane2 »

Piper-You'll probably find your groups will tighten up after 100-200 rounds through it. I was concerned about my VSSF until I ran 90 or so through the pipe. Now I'm getting .3's with handloaded Sierra 39BK's.