Can someone enlighten me on "barrel twist rates"?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Pydpiper
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka Varmint

Can someone enlighten me on "barrel twist rates"?

Post by Pydpiper »

I was telling a buddy about my new Tikka .204, he asked about the twist rate and I have no idea what he is talking about.
Was this an option when I bought the rifle? I understand that there is always a twist rate, I mean is there one that is better than another? I figure Tikka would use what is optimum, am I wrong?
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Re: Can someone enlighten me on "barrel twist rates"?

Post by WrzWaldo »

Twist rate is usually determined by the bullet/s you plan on shooting. Heavier bullets are usually longer and need a quicker spin to stabilize. In simplistic terms it's the length-to-diameter ratio that is used to determine the optimum twist rate for a given bullet. If you desire more info try a Google search for "barrel twist rate" and "greenhill formula".

If I'm not mistaking most all factory 204 Rugers come with a 1:12 twist rate.

Have fun!

WW
Arizona Hunter

Post by Arizona Hunter »

WRZ, good answer. My Howa 1500 has the 1-12 twist. Works perfectly for 32 & 40 gr. V-Max and Sierra 39's. Have not tried the Hornady 45 spire point but my friends .204 with a 1-12 does the job right.
Super 91

Post by Super 91 »

One thing that I liked about the Les Baer Super Varmit in .204 was that it has a 1:10 twist. Seems 1:12 can be a little sensative to bullet weighing 40 grains or more. 39-40 seems to be the threshold. Not a golden rule, as some rifles do just fine, well, many do. But that seems to be the consensus wherever I go.
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

To keep things in proper perspective, as WzW mentioned, barrel twist rate determines the length of bullet a rifle will effectively stabilize.

The longer a bullet is - and a bullet is nothing more than a gyro in effect - the more spin it requires to stabilize it in flight. It generally follows that longer bullets generally weigh more, but total bullet weight is not a real factor in barrel twist determination.

I had swage 20 caliber bullets and can make a relativley short 43 grain bullet that shoots fine in a 12" twist barrel. Conversely, I can make a long 35 grain bullet that is well balanced by bullet standards that will not stabilize when fired through a 12" twist barrel. The difference is bullet length and not bullet weight.

And contrarty to what some folks say, the amount of bearing surface a bullet has is not a factor in barrel twist. A long VLD bullet generally has a very short bearing surface but a long overall length which will require a fast twist barrel to stabilize the bullet.

Conversely, a hunting bullet in the same caliber and weighing roughly the same weight will generally have a relatively long bearing surface but an overall length that is much shorter than a VLD bullet, and the hunting bullet does not require a fast twist barrel to stabilize it.

The overall bullet lenght is the key....

-BCB
Big_Bullseye
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 Varmint Stainless - Custom Noveske AR15 .204

Post by Big_Bullseye »

Super 91 wrote:One thing that I liked about the Les Baer Super Varmit in .204 was that it has a 1:10 twist. Seems 1:12 can be a little sensative to bullet weighing 40 grains or more. 39-40 seems to be the threshold. Not a golden rule, as some rifles do just fine, well, many do. But that seems to be the consensus wherever I go.
My Noveske AR204 w/ a 24" barrel is also a 1:10 and that was attractive to me as well in case I wanted to shoot the heavier projectiles. Haven't had it long enough to test many loads but it really likes the 32 grainers...

I understand the basis of twist rate and bullet stabilization and could not add anything that these guys haven't already. But listen to these experts if you want to really understand it in detail
Doveryai no Proveryai