Thoughts on Rem XR-100?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Thoughts on Rem XR-100?

Post by Vartarg »

I'm looking at an XR-100 in .204, and would be interested in any of your comments or experiences about this rifle.....many thanks. George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
hozz57

Re: Thoughts on Rem XR-100?

Post by hozz57 »

Vartarg, My XR-100 has been great, it has always shot sub 1/2 moa groups or better. It has a very smooth action and the trigger breaks clean. Mine has about 2300 rounds through it and is still shooting tight groups when I do my part. I also believe that it will be a great base for a custom rifle when I finally shoot out this barrel. ;)

The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!
orangecow
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by orangecow »

I have no thouhgts on this gun. I am new to this forum and this is my first attempt to post anything and need advice on how to operate in the electronic world.
My rationale for joining this site is as follows:
I am a long time shotgunner, but have recently gotten rifle bug. I bought a 10/22 target and am enjoying it imensely with my daughters. I now want something with more range and little kick that shoots flat and i have settled on 204.

I want to get a 204, i am considering ruger 77 mkII target or one fo many savages( i really like what i read about savages) any advice on pros and cons or other rifles i ahould consider.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

hozz,

My dad (who still shoots varmints at 80) has one in 223 that I shoot often and it is a nice rifle. That said, I can't say often enough or strong enough. SPEND THAT MONEY ON A SAVAGE!!!! This advice is from a long time Remington man and I have also had Win, Sako, Kimber, Browning, Ruger and custom builts.
the_right_reverend
.204 Ruger Guns: RUGER KM77VT MKII

Post by the_right_reverend »

only one problem with the xr-100 remington is leaving us south paws out in the cold...... nice looking rifle, I would pick one up my self but just don't fit my hand.... If it shoots like any my older 700's its got to be Sweet,,, But i have to agree with Hotshot the new savages with the Accutrigger are awesome.....
It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men....Image
hozz57

Post by hozz57 »

Hotshot
I bought this rifle used off of the internet for $500.00. The guy that sold it to me said it had about 100 rounds through it and a check of the bore showed no signs of erosion. No way I was gonna pass on a deal like that. I have since bought a Savage single shot .204 and I liike it as well but the Remmy XR-100 is headed for a all out customization which is partly the reason I bought it.
The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

orangecow wrote:I have no thouhgts on this gun. I am new to this forum and this is my first attempt to post anything and need advice on how to operate in the electronic world.
My rationale for joining this site is as follows:
I am a long time shotgunner, but have recently gotten rifle bug. I bought a 10/22 target and am enjoying it imensely with my daughters. I now want something with more range and little kick that shoots flat and i have settled on 204.

I want to get a 204, i am considering ruger 77 mkII target or one fo many savages( i really like what i read about savages) any advice on pros and cons or other rifles i ahould consider.

Welcome to the forum orangecow

Like you I have no experience with the Remmy XR-100.
They sure are pretty rifles and I know they usually shoot very well. Unless somethings changed they've been discontinued so if you want one Vartag I'd jump on it.

My first rifle was a Savage. Once I learned the joy of the barrel nut I never considered anything else. Ok a slightly used XR-100 for $500 is a deal even I wouldn't pass up.
Four Savage actions and 12 barrels with Shilen still owing me #13. Today I just got my fifth 204R factory barrel and a 28" McGowen custom bull in .243 Win for my F/O Savage. Life is good with a barrel nut.
And that my oddly colored bovine friend is the biggest pro in Savages favor. ;)
Off to the basement to build a new rifle. Should be done in fifteen minutes.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
serpent71
.204 Ruger Guns: xr-100

Post by serpent71 »

i love mine it is a great riflei have it in .204 just stated handloading and i got a group of .29
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

George,

I like mine very much. The only complaint I have is mine will not shoot any of the mass market 40 grainers worth a darn. It will however shoot the 39BK into .333 fairly consistently and dip into the 2's when I'm shooting good. I have a couple pictures in the "favorite loads" section (page 3).

KO